十三

Songbird POV

Gathering my school books and stuffing them in my back pack, I'm surprised when I hear a voice behind me. Turning around, I see Měi waving at me through the entrance doorway. I wave back in excitement as I go over to greet her.

"How are you? Classes for today have just ended." I explained as we walked arm in arm down the busy hallway together.

"I'm doing well since I have good news to tell!"

"What is it?" I asked in curiosity. We walked down the school stairs and made our way onto the school campus grounds.

"My family's cafe is hiring and I thought it would be really cool if you applied. We could work together!" In Měi 's excitement, she started jumping up and down like a little girl as she explained to me the details of the job. "What do you think?"

"I don't know what to say. Thank you, I will work hard, Měi!"

"I know you will, Míngqín. Come on, let's go!"

We rush over to Měi's house so that I could apply for the job opening. After a stressful interview from Měi's grandfather, I received the job. Being a his granddaughter's friend might have influenced the decision a bit.....

Měi takes a simple looking apron off a hook, she places it over my head and ties the strings behind my back. "Okay, now what?" I asked Měi in anticipation.

"First, you need to tie your hair up. And then, I will show you how to brew the beverages."

"No problem," I said. Removing an elastic band from around my wrist, I quickly plait my long hair out of the way.

All throughout the day, Měi taught me tips and secrets on how they create their delicious desserts and drinks. After we were done, we both collapse onto the newly swept floor in exhaustion.

"Ugh. And you do this every day?" I moaned as I rubbed my sore arms from mixing the ingredients.

"It is a lot of work, but we do the baking in the morning and the cleaning in the afternoon. Waipo does my job when I am at school."

"Don't you work as a waitress?" I asked

"No, I got promoted to the register just recently. "

"That must have been rough." I joked.

"Well, it's getting late. I should probably head back home." I sighed as brushed the remaining flour off of my apron and hung it on its hook.

"Okay. Since we will be working with each other, we could walk to and from school together. How about we meet in the school's auditorium?"

"I'd really like that" I smiled in response.

"Okay, thank you for helping out, Míngqín. I'll see you tomorrow bright and early."

We waved my hand goodbye. A feeling of warmth spread from the inside of my body that kept me warm on my journey home. Having friends is exciting!

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. as the sound of music filled my room. My first day of work! Scrambling out of bed, I quickly put on my school uniform and rush outside while making sure u didn't disturb my room mates.

I accidently bite my lip when the cold air of the morning pierced my skin. I can't wait until spring comes. I walked at a fast pace, since I didn't want to be late and arrived fifteen minutes before expected. I knocked on the entrance door and waited in the cold air. Hearing the sound of hurried footsteps, the door quickly opened.

"Hi, Míngqín. Nice timing! Hurry and help me get this mix in the oven." Měi motioned for me to come in.

Walking into the warm building, I shed my outer layer of clothing and layed it where Měi indicating me to put it. We both put our aprons on and started the day. Even though working in the cafe was hard work. I really enjoyed it. The feeling of accomplishment and being able to gain some money for your hard work makes you feel happy.