二十九

Songbird POV

Groaning, my eyes flutter open. The ceiling that I was staring up at tilted slightly making me dizzy. Closing my eyes again, I wait until my world stops spinning before opening them again.

Where am I?

Gently sitting up, I notice that I was laying on an unknown bed. This feels familiar.

Testing my limbs, I sigh in relief when they moved. This is getting old...

The sound of mumbled voices on the other side of the closed door perked my curiosity. Sliding to the edge of the bed, I test my weight on my left foot. When my foot was able to support my body without giving out, I placed the other foot down. Wobbling a little, I make my way to a nearby desk and grab hold of it.

Not bad.

My eyes land on a picture of a girl that looked to be my age. Picking it up, I smile when I see her arms wrapped around a younger looking Sēnlín .

This must be Sēnlín's room.

The voices behind the door began to get louder. Suddenly I heard a thump followed by the breaking of glass. Panic filled me as I made my way to the door and silently opened it. The scene before me scared me as the owners of the voices didn't notice my presence.

"Why did you betray us?! If you hadn't manipulated her mind, she might still be alive!" My brother yelled as he slammed Sēnlín against the wall.

"Do you not think I know that?! I think about her every day of my miserable life!"

"You deserve this punishment! You weren't the only one that loved her, Sēnlín."

"Like you could have protected her better than me!" Sēnlín angrily said as he pushed my brother off of him.

"She died in your arms, Sēnlín. If she was mine to claim, she might have still been alive!"

In anger, Sēnlín punched my brother which made me paralized in fear. What do I do?

Holding his sore jaw, my brother stared at Sēnlín with deadly eyes.

"Did you love her?" Sēnlín asked as he struggled to catch his breath from the sudden rush of adrenaline.

Silence.

"Answer me!" Sēnlín's voice was a mixture of frustration and desperation.

"Romantically? No, only you did. And I respected that! But you should have sacrificed your love for the person that holds your heart like I did! Every day I thought of my little sister being alone in Korea without me or maybe even dead! So I thought, if I couldn't protect Míngqín when I was 9, then I could protect Meriem. All my life, I was hunting for a person that was actually my long lost sister. Alll my life, I thought my precious little sister was dead because of you jerks! Now I know that it was you and your brother's fault for what happened to my family.

When Sēnlín stayed quite, my brother looked down at him in disgust. "You didn't deserve her love. She loved and trusted you with her life! And you didn't even trust her when she was around other guys?!"

"That's enough!" I yelled at them. Surprised, both men turned to me.

"Míngming, you're awake! Should you even be walking?" My brother said with a concerned look.

"Don't give me that, Rèn!" I snapped in frustration. "Do you even know how many years I've waited for you to come back? I watched for you every night, hoping that you would be right beside me like you always were. But I always woke up alone. Because of that, I would have nightmares of you every time I closed my eyes. You wanted me to stay free, but I just wanted my Gēgē back." My lips trembled at my words. I've always wanted him to come back, but now that he is here...why am I not running into his arms?