16

12:00 came quickly for us. In that time period. I had fallen asleep, and I probably shouldn't have. I fell asleep on couch in the living room.

That entire time, I had no idea what Nate was doing.

"Hey!" I hear an emotionless voice call to me. "Hey! Wake up!"

I sniff the air, before opening my eyes.

"Matthew, get up. Let's go."

Sitting up, I see someone standing over me. A shadow. I was about to jump when I realize it was just Nate.

"Oh, it's you."

"Yes, it's me. Let's go. I wanna get out of here."

"Oh, yeah. Right, sorry.. Let's go." I sigh, as I slowly get up. I grab some bags off the counter before, glancing to Nate.

He just stared. He looked dead inside. The emotionless look in his brown eyes scared me. He seems to be turning into nothing. Something that should be feared.

"You ready?" I ask.

"Yeah." He sighed silently.

Slowly walking to him, I see the keys in his pocket. "Want me to drive?"

"Am I incapable?" He narrowed his eyes madly.

"No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying you look tired, and thought maybe I should drive."

He looked at me. The tension in his shoulders seemed to go away as he looked at me. The look of anger and death still didn't leave his eyes, but he finally handed over the keys to his car.

"Can we go now?" He asked.

"Yes." I say. "Let's go."

-~-

He fell asleep. We haven't even left Burbank, and he's asleep.

He was awake long enough to check the news on his phone, in hopes for some news for Morgan. But the only thing he found was someone claiming they saw him when he were in the woods the other day.

He hasn't even said anything. Nothing.

Something tells me he didn't sleep when I did. I don't even wanna know what he was doing.

Everything was silent. The only sound was a CD Nate had in his car. It was dark, but the only light I saw was the street lights on the road.

Nate's silence felt's unnerving. It's scared me. He's scaring me. His personality changed in one full day, and I don't know what's wrong with him.

Whatever it is, I hope it's just a phase. If he stays like this, how the hell are we gonna survive, if he's fighting himself.

I fell silent, as I turned onto a darker road.

It's unsettling. The darkness.

But this map, Nate managed to draw out is quite accurate. But it's hard to see it.

Everything is still unsettling. I'm prepared for something to jump out and kill us.

Yet, nothing happened.

But it was only when I turned back onto a main road, when Nate woke in a panic, turning the light on in the car. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"Nate! What's wrong?" I ask, pulling over onto the shoulder.

"Do not go down that road." He told me, looking at me, resting his hand on the dashboard.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"They are down there. They are waiting for us. If we go down that we. Will. Die!" He narrowed his eyes, giving me a look.

"How do you know?" I ask him.

"I can hear them." He sat back down, somewhat relaxing.

"You heard them?"

"Yes."

I sat there for a moment, looking at him. He sat there staring at me not doing anything. There was a moment of silence, before he unlocked the passenger door, getting out.

"Hey!" I yell. "What are you doing?" I ask.

I then get out of the car, tempted to pull him back into the car, but he was gone.

He's gone?

"Nate?" I call. "Nate?"

How'd he disappear? I got out of the car right after him..

Okay?

"Nate?" I ask. "Where'd you run to?"

Taking the flashlight out of my bag, I shine it in the darkness, thinking he maybe blended in with the darkness around us. He's wearing all black, so that could be it.

But he's nowhere to be seen.

Why did he need me to stop here, and why did he need to disappear on this road? The most unnerving road I've seem so far.

"Nate this isn't funny!" I yell. "Get back here!"

I then hear something snap.

A twig? Someone's bones?

I hope it's a twig.

But I hear something moving. Something was creeping around, and I wanted to leave, but I can't leave Nate.

"Nate!!"

"What?"

Whipping around, I hear his voice. Shining the light, I see him behind me. The dead look in his eyes reflected off the light off my flashlight. He was barely visible in the light. He truly blended in with the night.

"Where the hell did you go?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" He asked silently.

"You fucking disappeared!" I yell. "You got out of the car, then disappeared!"

"I've been here the entire time." He echoed.

"But -- I.." I trailed off.

He just looked at me then looked around the forest surrounded road.

He then grabbed the keys out of my hand. "Let's go!"

"Now."