Chapter 8

Ellie's P.O.V.

     I woke up to the smell of bacon. The Curtis brothers were screaming for some reason. Possible explanations for the screaming filled my head; somebody died, there was a fire, or they were getting robbed. It was highly probable. In fact, 42 percent of adults in 1965 smoked. In 2012, 12 percent of residential building fires were caused by smoking. It could happen. 

     I woke up to see that everyone else was already awake. I saw that it was 8:00 in the morning. Most Americans start their day between 6-7:00 a.m. I was getting such a late start. Maybe if I cut my shower to 5 minutes instead of my average 10, ate breakfast really quickly, and didn't do my daily math problems, I would catch up to the rest. I know it seems like I'm really nerdy, but I'm not really. What really is a nerd anyways?

     I finished my shower, and changed into my clothes from last night. My hair was wrapped up in a towel as I walked into the kitchen. Steve was wrestling Soda on the couch. I raised an eyebrow, as I saw that Marty was chewing on some bacon. Ariana was talking to Marty about something loudly. Knowing her, she was fangirling.

     "Where are Emma and Natalie?" I asked. 

     "They went out shopping with Dally for car supplies," Ariana explained. "Marty and I are trying to figure out a way to get back to our hometown." 

     She glared at me when she said "hometown". I knew she was referring to 2016. How are we going to get back to 2016?, I thought to myself. I tried to calm myself down. Ariana knew everything about that movie. With the combined brainpower, we could figure out a way back. Hopefully without drawing attention to ourselves. 

     After I finished my breakfast, I started to comb out my hair. Dally, Emma, and Dare walked through the door. Dare was holding a bag full of clothes, while Emma and Dally were carrying some tools. Soda and Steve headed out the door, going to work. 

     "You said that you guys need these tools for your car?" Dally questioned. We nodded. "Man, I'll never get girls."

     "That's for sure," Emma scoffed. 

     I smiled, as I realized Dally meant he'd never understand girls, and Ariana was implying Dally would never attract girls. Dally rolled his eyes, and Ariana and him went back and forth in playful argument. Marty ushered Emma, Ariana, Natalie and I into a separate room. 

     "Guys, we've got to go back to the future in the DeLorean. The problem is...there's no plutonium!" Marty screamed. "Last time, I used food scraps, but Doc rebuilt the original version, so that's out of the picture. The only way's a bolt of lightning. Wait a minute. Wait a minute, guys. The last time I time traveled, I never went out of state. How the hell did we get in Oklahoma? How the hell did I find you guys in the first place?"

     Emma turned her head to Ariana.

     "Fresh- your wish!" Emma exclaimed. "Those candles I gave you were like legit. Call me crazy, but did you make a wish about Back to the Future?" 

      After a few minutes of discussion, we came to a conclusion; Ariana wished to time travel, and Emma held her  hand when she made that wish. Emma was thinking about The Outsiders. All in all, Ariana's wish came true. It was like her destiny.  

      "That must mean-" Ariana trembled "we're in The Outsiders."

     There was an eerie silence. I thought about it for a second. It was all adding up. The greasers and socs, the fights, everyone we had met. That meant we were staying in the house of the main character. What if we messed anything up in the book? What if we became apart of the book? We had families to think about. It was all too much for me. Dare started to cry. I felt a tear stream down my cheek. It was happening to quickly.  Emma and Ariana seemed more worried than sad. Emma's face lit up.