A New Family

Bumblebee looked up at the tall man who stood smiling down at him. At the small age of 6, he didn't understand the importance of what was happening as the smiling man signed several papers and handed them to an older woman who's current expression kind of scared him a little bit. After the woman took the papers and tucked them into a file, she climbed into the black car and drove away. Once she was finally out of sight, the man knelt down in front of him and set his hands on the boy's tiny shoulders.

"Bumblebee, my name is Ratchet," he said quietly. "I'm your new dad."

Now there was something he understood!

"Daddy!" Bee laughed, throwing his arms around Ratchet's neck.

"That's right," Ratchet laughed and hugged him back. "That's right."

>>4 years later>>

"Bumblebee, I'm home!" Ratchet called, closing the door behind him and hanging up his coat. It had been a long day and he was tired.

"Dad!" Bee laughed as he ran around the corner and half tackled him, half hugged him. "What took you so long? I got back from school hours ago!"

"Well, that's what I need to talk to you about," Ratchet sighed as he sat down on the couch. Bee sat on his lap and looked up at his father expectantly.

"What is it?"

"Remember how last week you said you wanted a sibling?" Ratchet started carefully.

"Yeah," Bee nodded, not exactly sure where he was going with this.

"Well, I got a phone call from the same agency I got you from," Ratchet poked the boy's nose, causing him to giggle. "They were wondering if we would be willing to take in another child."

"Adopt another kid like me?" Bee sat up straighter, his eyes shining with excitement.

"Not exactly," Ratchet explained carefully. "They'd be our foster kid."

"Foster?" Bee frowned in confusion, the excited light in his eyes dimming slightly.

"It means that we take care of them and treat them like they're a family member, but it's not forever."

"Why not?" Bee demanded, still confused.

"Because their parents can't take care of them right now, but they might later."

"When?"

"When they get a job or a house or do other things to make it so they can take care of their kid again," Ratchet sighed. "But until then we take care of them- if you want to do that."

Bee blinked. "Are you kidding me?!"

"Bumblebee-"

"Of course I do!" Bee exclaimed, jumping up and fist pumping the air. "When can we get them?"

"I can get everything worked out tomorrow after work, and they'll be in town in two days." Ratchet smiled, ruffling the boy's hair as he stood up and walked into the kitchen to make dinner.

"Alright!" Bee shouted as he followed his dad and sat down at the table to watch him cook. "Wait- they're younger than me, right? Cuz I'm pretty sure I said that last week when I said that I wanted a sibling that they need to be younger than me."

"Yes, they're younger than you. By a little over 2 years."

"Oh, well that's good, cuz I wanna be the big brother," Bee grinned, leaning back in his chair as Ratchet set a plate of food in front of him.

"There's something else I need to tell you," Ratchet said as he sat down and picked up his fork.

"What?" Bee asked, already shovelling food into his mouth.

"Well for one thing, slow down or you'll choke," Ratchet smirked, gesturing with his fork to the mess the boy was making. Bumblebee frowned, chewing and swallowing before trying to talk again.

"What else about the kid?" Bee asked, taking considerably more time with his food than before.

"Well, it's a girl, so she'll be like your little sister," Ratchet paused to eat a bite of food before continuing. "Also, she's going to need a bit more help and attention than most kids-"

"Why's that?" Bee interrupted, his fork now sitting next to his plate.

"She's blind," Ratchet said simply, taking another bite of his food. Bee stared at him from across the table, not sure what to make of this news.

"She's blind?" He echoed, frowning slightly.

"That doesn't change your decision, does it?" Ratchet frowned back. "From what I hear, she's a very active girl with quite a wild spirit. I think if you try, you two could get along very well."

"She is? Oh, well yeah, I guess we could," Bee picked up his fork again and started twisting his noodles on it like a tornado. "We could slide down the stairs together and play with my race cars!"

Ratchet smiled. "Yes, I bet you could."