•20•

-
A week later
-

Calvin and Niall had accepted their feelings toward each other. They spent most nights together, Calvin resting against Niall's chest as they watched Netflix at 2 in the morning. Calvin had been hearing less and less of Greg.

-
3 weeks later
-

Greg approached Calvin, who he had been avoiding lately, at lunch. The man was hesitant to share this information with him, but he would feel terrible if he just disappeared without a word.

"Cal.. I'm going to join the air force.."

The man's eyes widened for a moment before relaxing slightly. He wasn't making eye contact with Greg. "..why?" His voice was quiet as he processed the sudden information.

"I just.. I need to do something with my life. I want to serve my country." Greg spoke.

Calvin couldn't imagine a world where Greg was not around. Sure, the man had abandoned him this past few weeks but the younger man still couldn't grasp the concept of Greg being completely out of his life.

"When are you leaving?" He could tell that Calvin was fighting off tears.

"After I graduate."

.
.
.

"You're just going to walk out of his life?" Niall asked when Greg finally broke the news.

He nodded. "It'll be better that way anyway."

"There's only a few weeks until you graduate.. Have you told him?"

"Yeah.."

"How did it go?" Niall asked, concerned about his boyfriend's mental health. He knew how these kind of things affected Calvin.

"He was a little upset." Greg said as the image of the emotional junior was shuffled to the front of his mind.

-
A week later
-

Greg, Calvin, and Niall all found themselves outside the school during lunch. The younger men were both smoking as all three of them laughed and made fun of each other. Greg was still jealous of Cal and Niall's relationship as he noticed how the junior called the sophomore by his birth name instead of his nickname. Of course he pushed it aside and continued on with whatever topic they were on at the moment. He relished Calvin's smiles and laughs, as short-lived as they were.

-
Graduation
-

Greg adjusted his cap as he left the stage, diploma in hand. Of course, Calvin, sweet Calvin was there. And so was Niall. As much as he disliked the man for taking the junior from him, which technically it was the other way around, he had grown to hate the man less. He took care of Calvin as best he could and Greg could tell that he always put the older man before himself. It hurt that he would soon have to say goodbye to both of them as he boarded a plane.

Calvin's congratulatory smile was all he needed to bring his spirits back up, but soon he wouldn't be able to see it again.

-
Departure
-

Greg was regretting this.

He didn't think he would, especially because of such trivial matters, but somehow he did. He was in too far to just go home now.

Calvin's tear stricken face was enough to guilt trip him into insanity. The only thing that kept Greg on the plane was the image of Niall pulling the smaller man close and nuzzling his neck in an attempt to comfort him. Niall would be there for him.

He recalled their last conversation:

"Take care of him, alright?"

"I will."

It wasn't especially meaningful to just anyone, but to him it was a weight lifted off his shoulders. The man he cared about more than anything was in good hands.

[A/N: Short, sad chapter. Yes.. it is ending very soon. Maybe like a chapter or two more and it'll be over. Sorry for the feels..]