Transformation

Still carrying your shoes from earlier, you jogged the short distance across the stream and through the village towards Link's home and the only way of getting to the spring. Turning the corner, you almost ran over a small form standing near the front of the house. Bright blue eyes turned to see your distress as the little boy, Colin faced you,".......Link! Are you going to see Ilia? Maybe it's just me... but those guys don't normally let people pass... You think you can get us both through?" He gestured over to the path leading through the small ravine and into the outskirts of Faron. As he pointed out, both Talo and his younger brother were standing guard at the path opening.

Link nodded in response, "Sure thing, Colin. We have to get through anyway... Come on."

As you neared the two young guards, both their faces lit up at the sight of you, especially Talo when he saw you beside Link, "Hey, Link! Hi ___! We've been waitin' for you, ya know? Yesterday was soooo much fun! Yeah, chasing that monkey was great!"

You shook your head, scolding him sarcastically inside your head. 'Yeah, watching someone mutilate a couple bokoblins after getting kidnapped is the best kind of fun you could EVER have!'

Talo was jumping and shuffling energetically in his place, "I was just telling Malo here about how we wanted to show it to him, but we let it go instead!"

Malo, who couldn't have been more than three with the IQ of a full grown adult rolled his eyes, "Oh, YOU didn't get caught, Talo?"

Normally you would've tried to restrain a laugh at his brother's comment, but your patience was wearing thin. You had to get to Hyrule soon, and have already wasted enough time with Ilia! But before you could try to get a few words in to get past them, Talo spoke up again, this time addressing Colin, "Oh, Colin! Way to spoil everything by telling your dad. Nice job."

The little head of blonde hair slowly started to hang in shame and embarrassment as he was scolded into submission, "Yeah, thanks a lot! We got scolded by our dad something awful. I thought it was never gonna end..."

You never liked seeing other kids getting bullied by those who clearly had a lot more to learn about the world, so you stood up for him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Hey, he was just trying to make sure you guys were safe. You did the right think, Colin."

The little boy gave you a shy but very appreciative smile. He reminded you a lot of Link when he was younger. Believe it or not, Link wasn't always the hero. He changed a lot with that first adventure. He was pretty lazy and quiet as a teen, until that fateful day when Zelda was flung to the surface.

Talo clearly didn't seem to get the importance of the issue as he changed the subject, "I bet you're trying to go see Ilia, aren't you? Well, there's no way I'm gonna let you pass!"

Your patience was nearing its end, and you got the idea of bribing him. You needed to get by now, and talking them out of it wasn't going to cut it, "Hey, Talo. I bet if you had a sword yesterday, you could've handled it all by yourself, right?"

Talo grinned brightly, placing his hands on his hips, "Definitely!"

"Right, well I have something for you..." You quickly swiped the wooden sword Link had strapped to his back. It was more or less something he used to herd the goats, but he wasn't going to need it now if you ever got to Hyrule on time! You could see Talo's eyes light up as you presented it to him, "Here... I want you to have this to practice with just in case any of those monkeys show up again."

"Woah! YESSS!! With this thing, I'll show 'em!!" He jumped for joy and ran quickly back to the ragged scarecrow at the back of the house to start swinging madly at it. The sword was still a bit too heavy for him, and you hoped in the back of your mind that he wasn't going to poke an eye out.