Chapter Seven

Jessie was worried. Very worried. Rhett had been calling every few hours to check up on things. He hadn't called since last night. She decided to call him. What if something was wrong? She was about to, when she got a call from Christy. She answered. "Hi Christy, how are you guys doing? I have some news about Link. Believe it if you like. Rhett was told this by some girl in her twenties. Do you want to hear it?"

Christy perked up a little at this. Her heart still longed for her husband. She wanted to believe that something had happened and that was would be back to his old self. She just couldn't bring herself to divorcing him. Not after as long as they had been married. People don't just change overnight. Not so drastically as Link had. "Yes, please tell me. I want to believe it. I want to know as much as I can. I want the real Link back. I want to go home to him. Please, tell me, Jess."

"The girl said that the man you saw, that cheated on you and hurt your children wasn't Link. Apparently, Link had a twin that no one knew about, except of course his parents. He kidnapped Link. Rhett left days ago to try to find Link, I haven't heard from him. Is there anyway you can try to find out if Link really does have a twin?"

"Yeah, I'll call him mom. Talk to you later, Jess.  Bye." Christy hung up and dialed Sue's, Link's mom, number. She soon answered.

"Hello dear. How are you holding up?"

"Not that great. You?"

"The same."

"Uh, Mom, does Link have a twin brother?" Sue went silent, tears flooding to her eyes. She started to cry.

"Y-yes... W-we put him up for adoption.. We couldn't handle two! We couldn't afford to have two sons.." Sue started to cry harder. She had always struggled with giving away her son. She had never forgiven herself and had wanted to forget it. 

"Mom, please, don't cry. It's alright. You had no choice. I need to tell you something though.. Your other son, he kidnapped Link. H-he's been doing all this... Oh my gosh! We need to go home! Link's been kidnapped! We're leaving ASAP. Bye! Thank you!" Christy hung up. "Kids, pack up your stuff. We're going home! Your dad's in trouble. That wasn't him. You have an uncle who's going to jail very soon. Hurry up and get everything together!"

Christy and the kids spent the rest of the day rushing around, packing things and getting tickets last minute. They were on their way home the next day.

        Link awoke in Rhett's arms still. He felt so weak. He needed food. He needed nourishing food, not moldy bread, lake water, and every once in awhile, rotten fruit. These foods and drink only served to make him sick. Link's glasses had been broken the first day he got here. His vision was slowly getting worse as the strain on his eyes got worse as well. He closed his eyes again and whispered, his voice raspy and dry. "Rhett, I can't move. It hurts too much. I'm sorry." Link coughed, his throat in pain from being used. Rhett held Link closer to himself. He spoke softly and gently.

"Don't worry about it at all, buddy. I'm gonna be here for you in everyway I can. I'm going to help you through this. I'm going to take care of you. He did so much, so many horrible things to you. He's going to pay for this and you're gonna get better. Trust me. We're gonna get through this together. I'll carry you through if I have to. It's going to be alright. Try not to talk or move much."

Link nodded and lifted his head that had been resting against Rhett's chest. He smiled as much as he could. His mouth barely lifted, for the pain he was going through was so terrible, but his eyes, they told a different story. They told Rhett everything Link was trying to communicate to him. Link's eyes, bright blue and filled with tears, had met Rhett's and expressed such gratitude, thankfulness, and love of his brother that held him close to himself as a source of comfort. He could never tell Rhett how much he meant to him. Yet, neither could Rhett. The two were unbelievably close and when something bad happened to the other like this, that really shined through.

Link's eyes were smiling up at Rhett's and Rhett's smiled back. Just knowing Rhett was right there for him, was such a comfort to Link. It took away all Link's pain and fear. He felt safe and happy knowing Rhett was finally back to him. Or he was  back to Rhett. Either way, the inseparable duo was once again united. The two brothers were back with each other after the worst four weeks of both of their lives. Link closed his eyes again and rested his head against Rhett's chest once more as Rhett's arms were wrapped around him. The ever present beat of Rhett's heart, constant and strong, was another source of comfort for Link. 

He felt as though even if the whole world was against him, but Rhett was right there at his side, the two could take on the world together. They were stronger together. Two halves of a whole. It was no accident that these two men had met. No mistake that Rhett had moved to one of the smallest towns in North Carolina. They were meant to be best friends, brothers, a duo. They were two of the best friends in history. Each would die for the other in a heartbeat. Nothing could ever stop Rhett or Link from being there for the other. And nothing ever has or ever will.