Chapter Twelve

Link rested his head on Rhett's chest once again, the pain returning. "What did he do to you, Link?" Rhett's voice was laced with worry, concern, and held back anger towards James. Tears slowly fell from Link's blue eyes, blue that mirrored the sky when it looked most beautiful and bright. Link started to tremble in fear as he heard the sound of James' footsteps approaching the basement door. He whispered softly as he buried his face in Rhett's shirt.

"B-belt buckle.. my back.. A-and he cut me with a razor." Link carefully lifted his arms, his wrists and forearms were painted in cuts that were still bleeding. Rhett ripped off the bottom of his shirt and used it to bandage Link's arm tightly. As soon as he had finished, the basement door opened. Rhett's face was red with hatred. He stood up, letting go of Link. James was now only two steps from the bottom where Rhett stood with fists clenched at his sides. James raised an eyebrow, and before he could do or say a thing, Rhett's hands were wrapped around his throat tightly. He slammed James into the wall, knocking the wind out of him.

Rhett squeezed James throat tightly and the man gasped for air and clawed at Rhett's hands, trying to pry them off his throat. His airway was being closed off. He spoke, his voice was incredibly strained as the veins in his head and neck popped out and his face was redder than a tomato. "St-stop. M-mercy!"

"YOU DIDN'T HAVE MERCY ON LINK, WHY SHOULD I HAVE MERCY ON YOU?!?!!!" Rhett tightened his grip on James's throat.

"G-gonna die! G-GAS!!" It took Rhett a minute to understand what James had meant. Gas, he was poisoning them. The gas would soon reach them. Rhett let go of James and noticed Link was coughing as he lie, curled up in the fetal position on the floor. James eyes rolled back into his head and Rhett slipped his arms under Link's knees and his back. He lifted the frail man and began to carry him up the stairs. The basement door was locked and a chair was propped up against the door, Rhett couldn't open it. He started to feel lightheaded as he breathed the carbon monoxide in. He fell to his knees at the small landing at the top of the stairs by the door.

Rhett genty lied Link down and ripped off another part of his shirt. He put it over Link's mouth and nose, hoping it would somehow help to filter the air, but it did nothing. Link turned to his side, his head throbbing, and vomited. Rhett coughed and rammed his shoulder into the door repeatedly. It shook slightly, but nothing happened. Link's eyes began to close, he was about to pass out, he was so much weaker now and could barely hold on. Rhett felt dizziness hitting him as he kicked at the door with all his might.

Over and over he kicked, the old wood cracked and he broke through it soon. He fell to the ground again and looked over at Link. He covered the younger man's mouth and nose with his hand. He felt himself losing consciousness as well, but he kept fighting, it was the only way he and Link would live through this. Link's eyes slowly moved, half open, and met Rhett's. Rhett's eyes told him that Rhett would save him. He wasn't going to let anything else happen to Link. Link shakily reached up and grabbed Rhett's hand, tears in his eyes. He coughed and Rhett moved his other hand away from Link's mouth and nose and used it to push the chair away from the door.

The hard folding chair fell to the ground with a loud clatter and Rhett unlocked the door. He closed his eyes before grabbing the now unconscious man he knew as his brother. After breaking the door open, much more gas had entered through the hole. Rhett stood up, Link felt like a feather in his arms, the man was so skinny. Rhett used his shoulder to open the door and he ran, stumbling through the house as the world spun around him. James was still in the basement, unconscious. Rhett ran and ran, falling to his knees and coughing. Tear were in his eyes and he held him breath as best as he could. His vision blurred and he finally found the door. He opened it and ran out onto the grass. He fell into the grass, gently setting Link down.

Rhett breathed deeply as he had a coughing fit. They had made it out. Fresh air surrounded both men. Rhett threw up into the grass and then turned to Link. He wasn't fully recovered yet, but he didn't care. Link meant more to him than he did. He loved Link more than himself. Link was his brother, the greatest friend anyone could ever have. Rhett took a deep breath and began to push down on Link's chest. He was performing CPR. He pushed thirty times first, remembering how to perform CPR from the classes he took.

Rhett then used his palm to push Link's head back and opened his mouth. He took a deep breath, knowing this was the only way to save Link's life. He put his mouth over Link's and breathed out. Link's chest rose and then fell after Rhett moved away. He repeated the process two more times, then he stopped when he heard coughing. Link's eyes opened and he looked up at Rhett with such gratefulness and love. His eyes closed, and Rhett breathed out slowly, taking Link's hand and squeezing it. He felt a light squeeze back and knew Link would be alright. He did it. He saved Link's life. He lied down on the grass, still holding Link's hand tightly and closed his eyes. He fell asleep from exhaustion, and Link did the same thing. Both men slept peacefully and calmly.