1

Rain poured down from the sky as I rode in a wagon racing through the countryside of Wall Rose from my home in Ehrmich District. I was being taken to the Southern Division Training Corps near Trost to join the 104th class.

Most people would be terrified to join the military, but I was different. My mom is a very well-respected former Military Policeman, and my uncle Rasa was a member of the Scouts. Emphasis on was.

As Mark, one of the interns working for my Grandfather's Vertical Maneuvering Equipment manufacturing company, steered the horses pulling the wagon, I read excerpts from Uncle Rasa's journal. I was able to sneak this into my bag without my mom seeing it, because I wasn't supposed to read it.

He'd written down all of his adventures while he was in the Scouting Legion in this brown, leather book, and I was absolutely fascinated. Uncle Rasa kept a number of all the Titans he'd seen and killed while in the Scouts, which ended up being 112 Titans seen and 56 killed—give or take a few.

I say that because almost two years ago, Rasa had been sent out on a mission with the Scouts to retake Wall Maria from the Titans with a thirty-man team. Out of the thirty men and women who were sent to Wall Maria, one returned.

The sole survivor spoke of the unprecedented horrors Rasa's team had encountered; there were six fifteen meter Titans who attacked the team all at once. My uncle had killed two trying to defend his team, but, as he attacked the third, he was eaten.

I had expressed to my dad in supposed secrecy that I wanted to join the Scouts to be like Uncle Rasa, but my mother had found out through a "little bird" and warned me that if I joined the Scouts, I would be killed and eaten in a matter of days. She was an MP, what did she know?

She wanted me to join the Military Police so I could hide behind wall Sina like a coward. Since my grandfather invented the ODM, we were the only people outside the military who were allowed to own the equipment, and ever since I was able to walk, I was playing with ODM. My mom knew damn well that with my prior experience and intelligence I would be selected to join the MP's, but I didn't want to.

Adventure sounds much more appealing than being stuck behind a wall for the rest of your life.

..........

Darkness fell upon the countryside, but in the distance, I could see bonfires signaling that the Training Corps was near. A wave of anxiety and excitement overtook me at the same time, and I felt my heart racing in my chest.

I slid Rasa's journal into my backpack containing my ODM gear and uniform—my father had been experimenting with adding two tanks to the ODM to increase speed and stamina, so he sent me to training to test it for him.

As Mark and I approached the camp, the rain grew heavier and heavier. Men and women stood outside of the wooden walls surrounding the main camp; they signaled us to come to them. The horses halted, and I exited the back of the wooden wagon reaching into my jacket for the slip of paper I had to return to the military.

To keep dry, I placed my hood onto my head, covering my long, black hair. I approached the blonde guard who sported a mustache, and he instructed, "Paper." I handed him my document, and he scribbled something down on to his clipboard. "Name and city of origin."

"Sana Rehman," I replied, looking at my feet nervously, "Born in the district of Ehrmich in Sina."

The soldier chuckled, "You're from the interior. What are you doing all the way out here? Aren't you scared you'll see a Titan or a poor person?"

He wasn't funny, but I laughed awkwardly.

"Alright, missy," the soldier handed me my document, and pointed to the cabin on the left side of the camp, "You'll be staying in that dorm, right there. No boys allowed." I nodded, but before I entered the wooden gate, I turned around to say goodbye to Mark.

As I waved to him, a boy on a grey horse strode in from the south; he glanced at me strangely, his hazel eyes connecting with my black ones, and he awkwardly waved in return to me.

___________________________________________________________________________

Alright guys, you wanted this

Don't blame me if it fucking sucks

Let me know if you also want the Modern AU! version of this, because I also greatly enjoy writing that story