6

All of us were groggy and hung-over from the graduation after-party, but once I heard the news that the Scout regiment was going to be passing through Trost, I high-tailed it out of bed to go see them.

I stood in the crowd of people with Eren, Mikasa, and Armin watching as Commander Erwin Smith led his battered troops into town. When I was younger, I'd met Commander Erwin one time; he'd just taken over for Shadis, and I remember my ten-year-old self asking him a million questions about absolutely nothing.

"YEAH, COMMANDER ERWIN! Did you give those ugly bastards a thrashing?" a man cheered from the crowd.

The man in front of us shouted, "Look! It's Captain Levi!"

Also, I'd met Captain Levi the same time I met the Commander. Back then he was my uncle's right-hand-man, and when Rasa died, Levi took over the Special Task Force he created.

"CAPTAIN LEVI!" I shouted over the crowd, waving my arms excitedly. His steel eyes locked on to me, and he furrowed his brow, confused. He mumbled something to Hanji under his breath.

..........

I patrolled the streets of Trost, making sure nothing out of the ordinary was going on, nobody was injured, nobody needed help. From behind me, a woman screeched loudly, dropping her food onto the floor. "NOT AGAIN! NOT AGAIN!" She screamed, pointing to Wall Rose.

Whipping my head back around, I saw what she was screaming at.

Peeking its skinless head over the wall was...a titan.

"Bertolt?" I quickly searched for my patrol-partner, but he was nowhere to be seen. Screams echoed through the city as people noticed the Colossal Titan, but the screams were deafened by a loud explosion coming from the gate. "RUN!" I screamed. "RUN TO THE INNER GATE!"

..........

"I WANT EVERYONE TO GET INTO FOUR SQUADRONS JUST LIKE WE PRACTICED. ALL SQAUDRONS ARE RESPONIBLE FOR SUPPLY RUNNING, MESSAGE RELAY, AND ENEMY COMBAT UNDER THE COMMAND OF THE GARRISON REGEMENT. THE INNER SOUTH SQUAD WILL BE TAKING THE VANGUARD, CADETS WILL BE TAKING THE MIDDLE GUARD LED BY THE SUPPORT SQUAD, REAR GUARD WILL GO TO THE ELITES. I EXPECT YOU ALL TO MAN YOUR POSTS KNOWING THE ADVANCED TEAM HAS BEEN WIPED OUT. THAT'S RIGHT! THE OUTER GATE IS HISTORY. THE TITANS ARE IN. THIS MEANS THE ARMORED TITAN IS LIKELY TO MAKE A REAPPEARENCE. IF AND WHEN HE DOES, THE INNER GATE WILL ALSO BE HISTORY. RIGHT, THOSE IN THE VANGUARD BE READY, THE WHOLE AREA IS WELL SATURATED; YOUR MISSION IS A SIMPLE ONE, DEFEND THE WALL UNTIL THE EVACUATION IS DONE. NOW, BE AWARE ALL OF YOU THAT DESERTION IS PUNISHABLE BY EXECUTION. IF IT COMES TO IT, LAY DOWN YOUR LIVES. DISMISSED!"

The entire crowd shouted, "Yes, sir!"

I was named leader of my sub-squad consisting of Annie, Marco, Jean, Bertolt, and Reiner. All of us stood near the pillars, trying to shake our nerves.

"Why did this have to happen now?" Jean murmured, running his hands through his hair. "Just one more day and I'd been heading for the interior."

I held my uncle's star and crescent necklace in both of my hands, begging for him to watch over my team and others. The only reason his necklace is even in my possession is that he wore it every day, except for the day he died, and I took it from his room in the Scouts HQ before anyone could notice.

Jean angrily stormed away, not saying a word. "Hey!" I shouted after him, but he ignored me. Quickly, I explained to Marco, "I'll be right back." As I ran after Jean, I slipped the star and crescent necklace on, tucking it underneath my shirt.

As I turned into the courtyard, I found Jean arguing with Yaeger again. "JEAN, GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!" I shouted. Yaeger let of Jean's shirt, and he ran up to me.

"Sorry," he apologized, scratching the back on his head. "I just freaked out and needed space."

I sighed, "Alright, come on." Jean followed me back to the squad. Krista rubbed Daz' back as he cried, hovering over his own vomit. "Daz! Get up and stop crying!" I barked.

"Sorry ma'am!" he replied, getting up to join his actual group.

Taking my place on top of a half wall in the veranda, I checked to see if my entire squad was here, and when I saw that all of them were, I shouted so all of them could hear and see me, "Captain Weilman appointed me as your leader, so that means you will do what I tell you to do! Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am!" the group responded.

I explained the plan I was given, "We will be stationed along the northern boundary of the middle guard, which means if the vanguard was unable to take out a titan, it's our job to destroy it before it can move any further. Be sure not to waste your CO2, because I don't know how long we'll be out there for—it could be days. Do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am!" the group yelled.

l_viަc