7

I led my squad through the bloodied city of Trost. Everything was so quiet. The ground shook, blood dripped from the walls of the buildings, but there was deafening silence.

Rain dripped from the sky, soaking my hair since my hood had flown off, and I kept thinking of that angry, old, bald man. I was a little kid and he could tell, so why did he decide to attack me like that? All I was doing was walking home from my cousin's house just down the street.

I guess people like him aren't so different from the titans after all.

"Up ahead! There's a nine-meter titan heading for the inner gate!" I informed my squad. "Three of you, come with me!"

I aimed my hooks at a building just past the titan, and drew my swords; holding one the "wrong" way so both sharp edges were exposed. Jean, Reiner, and Annie did the same in opposite directions to give me enough room to fight. The grappling hooks lodged themselves into the brick wall, and I released the gas in two of the tanks.

My body flung through the air towards the titan, and I released the hook from the wall, allowing me to start spinning. Shutting my eyes, since I couldn't see where I was going anyways, I aimed for the titan's weak spot, and started spinning like a top.

Pressure on my left blade told me that I had hit the titan. I forced my body to stop spinning by letting out a little bit of gas from all four tanks, and switched directions in mid-air, opening my eyes to see the titan falling to the ground, steaming.

..........

My squad was camped out on one of the tallest rooftops in the city, panicking. We had been fighting for hours, and everyone's tanks had either run dangerously low or were completely empty. All four of my tanks were half filled at best.

Ten minutes ago, we were given the signal to head over the wall, but we had no gas left and headquarters was crawling with titans.

Connie's squad was also stranded. "Sana, what are we going to do?" Connie asked, panicked.

I rested my head against a chimney, and sighed, "Like I said before, Connie, unless somebody wants to sacrifice their gear so I can divvy up my remaining gas, we're dead." I rubbed my face, stressed, and mumbled, "I can't believe I'm going to die without leaving the walls."

"What's going on with the supply depo? Where are they?" Jean shouted, angrily.

I explained to the boy next to me, grimly, "They lost their will to fight. They valued their own self-preservation over our lives and barricaded themselves inside headquarters. Of course, titans have infested the place so we can't get the gas ourselves."

"Then why are we waiting!" Connie shouted. "We should be thinning their numbers so we at least have a chance! Sitting here on this roof is totally pointless, eventually the titans are going to come for us! Most of us don't have much gas left, if we run, we waste it."

A warm hand rested itself inside of mine, I quickly glanced down, seeing Jean rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb. Jean offered me a sweet, loving smile, and I mustered up a return.

"You don't think I've thought of that already," I explained, defeated. "Even if we did fight with the little gas we have left, we would be outnumbered. Even the veterans and the vanguard couldn't take them on. We're a bunch of rookies, Connie. Not even half of the troops would survive the initial assault, and if we somehow made it into the supply room, we would be swarmed by titans again. I'm not sending my friends on a suicide mission."