3

It was the first day of training, and the rain and clouds of last night gave way to bright sun and cool breezes. Breakfast was a bowl of what was supposed to be oatmeal and an apple, and after everyone had their fill of sludge, we stood in rows in the training pit.

The sun beat down on us, making sweat form underneath our heavy uniforms, but none of us could move. Mr. Shadis was watching over all the trainees like a hawk, and he screamed, "STRAIGHTEN UP THOSE SPINES, PISS-ANTS! THE 104 CADET CORPS BOOTCAMP STARTS NOW! ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, I'M COMODANT KEITH SHADIS, AND YOU WILL GROW TO HATE ME. TRAINING IS GOING TO BE A WHITE-KNUCKLE RIDE THROUGH HELL. IF I'VE DONE MY JOB, YOU'LL BE WAKING UP IN A COLD SWEAT FROM MEMORIES OF THIS PLACE EVERY NIGHT FOR THE REST OF YOUR MISERABLE LIVES. RIGHT NOW YOU'RE NOTHING, LIVESTOCK, BUT OVER THE NEXT THREE, SOUL-CRUSHING YEARS, YOU'LL LEARN TO TSAKE DOWN YOUR OWN GOLIATH. REMEMBER THIS MOMENT WHEN YOU COME FACE TO FACE WITH HIM, BECAUSE HERE'S WHERE YOU ASK YOURSLEF: AM I A FIGHTER OR AM I FEED? AM I GOING TO BE GROUND UP TO PULPY HUMAN GRISLE BETWEEN BOULDER SIZE INCISORS OR AM I GOING TO BE THE ONE TO BITE?"

Keith Shadis wasn't a new face to me. He used to be the Commander of the Survey Corps before Erwin Smith took over, and he was the one who recruited my uncle to join the Scouts.

"Hey Mop-Top!" Shadis shouted at Mikasa's friend, Armin.

Armin saluted, and replied, trying to seem brave, "Yes sir!"

Shadis towered over all the recruits, especially Armin, and when he stood in front of him, I almost chuckled at the height difference. "What do they call you, maggot?" Shadis yelled in the face of Armin.

"Armin Arlert from Shiganshina, sir!" he shouted, still trying to not quake in fear.

The Commandant laughed, "Wow, seriously? Why'd your parents curse you with such a dumb name?" I snorted, and Shadis' small, dark eyes glared at me. Shit, I was next.

"It was my grandfather's, sir!" Armin replied, proudly.

Shadis held his face directly in front of Armin's. "Cadet Arlert, why is a runt like you here?" he shouted.

"TO HELP HUMANITY OVERCOME THE TITANS!" Armin yelled, shaking all the way to his bones.

"That is delightful to hear. You're going to be a great light snack for them!" Shadis laughed, and grabbed Armin's head, turning him around to face the rest of his row. Then, the Commandant carefully strolled between the rows of tweens to almost the very back, where I was standing. "WHO ARE YOU?" Shadis screamed in my face, trying to frighten me.

"SIR, MY NAME IS SANA REHMAN OF EHRMICH DISRTICT, SINA!" I shouted just as loud as Shadis.

Shadis smirked, and laughed, "Seems like I can't escape you Rehmans. EVERYONE SEE HERE, THIS MAGGOT IS THE DIRECT DESCENDANT OF THE MAN WHO CREATED YOUR ODM GEAR—THIS FAMILY HAS PRODUCED THE BEST OF THE BEST SOLDIERS OVER THE YEARS. So, Rehman, why are you here?"

With my right hand over my left chest, I shouted in return, "To carry on my uncle Rasa's legacy within the Survey Corps, sir!"

"IF YOU DON'T GET SERIOUS, YOU'RE GOING TO END UP GETTING EATEN BY A TITAN LIKE HE WAS, REHMAN! FACE YOU'RE ROW!" Shadis screamed in my face.

I turned around, face to face with the same boy whom I'd accidentally waved at yesterday; I smirked at him, and Jean was still in shock that Shadis had let me off the hook for laughing.

He smiled, and Shadis took notice. "WHAT ARE YOU SMILING ABOUT HORSE-FACE?"

"NOTHING, SIR!" Jean replied, saluting the officer.