4

I boredly sauntered along with the rest of the cadets to the ODM training grounds tried and uninterested, unlike most of my classmates who were running as fast as they could to be the first to try out their brand new ODM gear.

My gear was different than everybody else's, because mine was customized for my desires. Most ODMs have two CO2 tanks resting on top of the blade holder, but mine has a set on the bottom of the holder as well, meaning I can go twice as fast or last twice as long as everybody else in a fight. My blades are also custom made; I handcraft them from titanium (which is very expensive, but also makes them super strong). Also, the cords are made from steel cable.

All of the cadets stood in formation in front of the ODM trainers while the Commandant explained to us, "It's aptitude test time so listen up! There is no place for you here if you cannot perform. Fail, and be shipped to the fields." He scanned through the silent crowd until he found me. "REHMAN! Show these maggots how it's done!"

"Yes, sir!" I shouted, running to the front of the crowd.

Standing in front of Shadis with my fist over my heart, I was rigid, and he explained, "Go stand in the center of the trainer, and those two will hook you up." I went to the place that Shadis told me to go.

Two soldiers hooked the clasps to my gear as I held my arms up, and then the two soldiers manned their positions at the cranks waiting for Shadis' order. "Lift her up!" he commanded, and then addressed the crowd, "NOW WATCH WHAT SHE DOES!"

I was lifted about a foot off the ground; my body was completely still, yet still relaxed. "NOTICE HOW HER STRINGS ARE NOT MOVING!" Shadis shouted. "HER BACK IS STRAIGHT, HER ARMS ARE AT HER SIDES, AND SHE'S RELAXED. I CAN GUARENTEE THAT NONE OF YOU WILL BE AS GIFTED WITH ODM GEAR AS REHMAN IS, BUT IF YOU CAN NOT FALL DOWN, YOU WON'T BE SENT HOME TOMORROW."

..........

I sat with Jean and his friend Marco in the mess hall during dinner, and we were talking about ODM training from this morning. "I can't believe how good you are with ODM gear!" Marco complimented me.

"Thanks," I chuckled, and then responded, "Back home, my siblings and I are the test-dummies for my dad and grandfather's gear designs. I can personally guarantee that these are the safest that they can get."

Jean stated, taking a bite of bread, "So, I noticed that your gear is different than all of ours."

"Yeah," I replied, scratching the back of my head. "I had it custom made for me; it's designed so I can go twice as fast or twice as long as everybody else. My uncle had the same gear style when he was in the scouts."

Marco asked excitedly, "Was that why he was so talented?"

I shrugged. "Part of it," I explained, smiling, "He was just really good at killing Titans." From behind Marco, I saw Eren staring at the wooden wall, not responding to Armin or Mikasa. "Um, what's up with Yaeger?"

"You didn't see him earlier?" Jean chuckled, raising his eyebrow.

"No," I explained, "Shadis had me helping other recruits."

Jean laughed as he explained, "So you know how Yaeger was dead-set on joining the Scouts so he could kill all the Titans yesterday?" I nodded my head, taking a sip of my soup. "Well, today during ODM training, he completely failed—he couldn't even stay up right. So he's freaking out, because if he can't use the ODM, he's getting sent to the fields."

"Even I tried helping him," Marco stated sympathetically, "but he's a lost cause."

I've never really talked to Eren before, but from what I've heard of him, he really wants to be a scout and I completely understand where he's coming from. "That's really sad," I mumbled.