*chapter nine

Melanie laid back on the couch, her feet propped on the coffee table and one hand tunneling through the large bowl of popcorn. She was watching the screen in awe as a zombie gnawed through flesh and bone with its seemingly superhumanly strong jaws. The overly obese human lay screaming and flailing his arms as the zombie went to town on his flesh, and Melanie heard Wylde chuckling under his breath from her side.

She ignored him and just kept watching the movie as she pulled out a handful of popcorn and stuffed her mouth full.

"You're gonna get a stomach ache." Wylde commented with a small laugh. Melanie looked at him in the corner of her eyes and smirked at him as she grabbed another handful and shoved it into her mouth. He just watched her, then slowly, he looked away and kept quiet.

She's not just a girl.

Wylde was saying she wasn't safe at her own home, but she was safe in the hands of Adam, who was desperate to get rid of some curse by sending her off to another person - or thing. It was like she was being auctioned off to the highest bidder.

And in the end, It didn't matter that Wylde had stood up for her after it all, it's the fact that he was going to send her off without so much of a worry.

Even when he knew what Adam was going to do with - or to - her.

She didn't exactly know what, but she was afraid to ask.

All in all, she was still pissed at Wylde, even with how much time has passed. His little witty comments weren't going to make up for it. She was on his team, but that didn't mean she had to be nice, or trust him. She had Dean after all, who was on her side throughout the whole thing.

Dean was someone she could trust because through all of this he has been nothing but helpful and kind.

Dean sat quietly next to Melanie, closer than Wylde, and he had his arm leisurely around the back of the couch, his fingers slightly touching Melanie's shoulder. She felt the warmth of his fingertips against her bare shoulder, and it almost comforted her. She still didn't have that sort of liking toward Dean, even a week or so later. Dare she say it, he was like an older brother. She could tell Dean tried over the course of her stay, but his efforts proved to be pointless because Melanie just couldn't look at him like that.  Slowly, after the first week, he gave up. Now it was almost a brotherly-sisterly love—or at least Melanie tried to convince herself that.

Dean and Melanie shared a small blanket, but the blanket was more on Melanie rather than him. He just got the edge, but he didn't seem to complain, but he didn't seem to scoot any closer to Melanie to get a bigger share either. Melanie looked at him for a split second, taking in the way that the television lights flashed across his facing, making his eyes light up like fireworks inside the pupils and his cheekbones cast shadows across his face. His blonde hair was raked back loosely and his lips were set in a straight line.

Dean looked at Melanie and she quickly averted her eyes, locking them on the television with her cheeks turning a bright shade of pink. She felt his arm slowly move down and lightly, he rested his arm on around her and his hand cupped her shoulder, his fingers playing softly with her hair.

Shit.

She really hoped he wasn't taking her friendliness as a sign of her starting to fall for him because it wasn't like that at all. She wanted nothing more than to move from his touch, but she knew it would only hurt him.

Wylde looked over at her and she returned the look, frowning as her eyebrows pulled together. "Will you stop looking at me, it's quite distracting." She said in a joking matter. She was trying to break the awkward silence she felt hanging above them.