chapter nineteen

"I don't like when you guys don't tell me the full truth." Melanie said, looking at each face that stood before her. Wylde looked shocked, Dean mimicked his face, and Sam. . .Well he looked almost expecant. As if he knew this was going to come up.

"Melanie, I didn't tell you all of it because you weren't ready-"

"How am I not ready?" Melanie cut him off with a quick voice, shooting her eyes full of daggers his way.

"You weren't ready to know who you're up against." Sam said as he pushed the chair out with the back of his knees. He slowly made his way in front of Melanie and placed two gently hands on her shoulders. "You know what this means right, the connection between you and Elias?"

Melanie stood motionless, not speaking, so Sam continued.

"This was is between the two of you, no one else."

"Then why the hell are we gathering so many people? Why can't we just settle this now, get it over with?"

It seemed more logical - and less time consuming - that way. Why couldn't they just call, RSVP, and kill each other without a huge battle, killing nearly thousands of others.

"Because, despite it being between you two, Elizar is going to be gathering his own people to try and kill you, so Elias doesn't have it to it on his own. Elizar never played fair, so now that we are recruiting our own army, we can fight back. But in the end, when everyone is dead, the only death that matters is Elias' or yours."

"How come you and Elizar had a war back then, what was it about?"

"It was about our fates." Sam explained as he stepped back and leaned against the table with his sculpted arms crossed in front of his chest. "He thought he could reverse it and wanted to take control of the world himself, but his son was the one who was going to be more powerful than himself, just like you and me; you're more powerful than even myself." He took a breath that had his laugh mixed into it. "He killed me, but I came back."

"Because fate needed you alive." Melanie said, using Kyle's words. Sam nodded slowly.

"Exactly."

"Kyle said something about a prophecy-"

"Whoawhoawhoa-" Wylde stood up from his chair and looked at Melanie with eyes of acuity. "Kyle told you all of this?"

"He read it from the books in the library. He actually did his research - unlike me, which I regret greatly." Melanie hissed, giving him an ornery look.

Wylde shut up and stood inert, not knowing what to say to her accusations. Melanie turned her attention back to Sam, ignoring Wylde's studying look he gave her.

"So?" She incited.

"Right, prophecy." Sam sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "You guys were meant to be born to kill the feud between the evil and the good, you representing good, and Elias, evil, of course, because it has been going on for as long as I can remember." Sam laughed and shook his head. "Ever since we were kids, actually."

Melanie studied him closely and there was a prolonged silence between them.

"Next time, tell me all of the truth." Melanie finally said, looking at each and every one of them. She then turned and walked out, leaving them at that.

Melanie found herself shuffling over to the living room and sitting on the couch. She grabbed the television remote and switched on the T.V. to find the channel on the news.

She braced herself.

The news reporter went through some other stories that were going on as well as the "umbra breeding" one - well, the humans didn't know what these disappearances were for, but Melanie sure as hell did.