Chapter 26 - Frantic

With the gut-wrenching scream still ringing in my ears, I lunge into a sprint and hope I'm moving in the right direction. Away from the púka and out of this forest. 

Dodging trees—that appear in the dark a half-second before I hit them—I ignore the painful sting of branches whipping my face. And as my bare feet start to ache from the cold impact of earth, and I regret leaving the old boots behind at the hotel.

Images of Cináed searching the city for me are snatched away as I hear racing hooves approaching. I know they'll reach me any moment, but I can't run any faster, and there's no where to hide where the monster won't find me.

Because the púka can smell fear.

Clambering up a boulder, I scan over what I can see of the forest ahead. Maybe there is somewhere I can hide.

With a new idea buzzing in my mind, and an overload of adrenaline pounding in my veins, I stand atop the boulder and leap to grab the closest branch above me. One hand successfully grips the bark, and my feet make their way up the trunk until I'm dangling around the branch.

I hear a snort and look down as two red eyes appear behind another tree. The púka's on to my scent. It must know I'm close by because it steps closer with nostrils flared. All it has to do is look up to see me, and then stand on its hind legs to reach where I'm hanging.

But I'm not ready to give myself over as demon-horse-chow just yet.

Closing my eyes, I imagine the dark forest away. Instead of hanging from a tree, I'm hanging on a jungle gym at a park. To drown out the sounds of the púka, I repeat the words in my head...

I'm just a kid playing at the park. I have nothing to be scared of.

The next snort sounds dangerously close, so I peak my eyes open and they land on ruby red eyes that are staring right back at me. My breath catches, and neither of us move.

I have nothing to be scared of.

I have nothing to be—

"Your bravery amuses me."

The words must have come from the horse. I see rows of fangs when it opens its mouth. The monster's voice is surprisingly calm, and feminine too. Not knowing how to respond, I just hang there, my fingers throbbing and my head pounding with blood.

The púka moves closer, but instead of chomping at me with her fangs, she continues until her back is beneath me.

"Come, child. I will take you where you need to be."

I turn my head to look at her. She really thinks I'm going to jump onto her back after what she did to that goblin?

Her neck twists around and those red, unblinking eyes settle on me. "Do not mistake my favor as kindness, child. I am not known for my patience, and if you do not accept the favor quickly, I will grow bored and eat you."

My legs slowly unwind from the branch, and I lower them until my feet hang on each side of the horse's middle. Then I let go and fall the rest of the way, landing on the púka like a stiff board.

Her gaze still lingers on me, and I see my terrified face in those red eyes. My breaths are quick and shallow, and my chest hurts from trying to contain the beatings of my frantic heart.

"Where are we going?" I say, my voice sounding strange in my ears.

"So you can speak." Her tone is tainted with humor. "Such an interesting creature."