Chapter 29 - Hunt

I feel like I'm standing naked on a platform the way everyone is staring at me, mouths gaping and eyes bulging. Despite how every muscle in my body is screaming at me to run, I keep my baring and glare unblinkingly at the King.

At this point, Orla has given up on trying to whisper in Naoise's ear. I can tell she's too furious at the King's simple mistake to even say anything. Her puppet made a deal he never intended to keep. A deal I myself didn't remember until the Púka warned me.

"Be wary of the deals you make with other Fae. They will trick you unless you are mindful."

King Naoise never imagined that a weak, simpleminded mortal would think to turn his own words against him. If not for the paralyzing fear clenching my insides, I could almost smile at how the tables have turned.

After what seems like a small eternity, the King shifts on his throne and breaks eye contact with me as he scans over the room.

"The mortal girl wishes to outwit the High King!" He calls, and as if on cue, the crowd erupts into mocking laughter.

I want to throw up. There's no way I'll get Darren or anyone else out of here before sunset. Even when I clearly have the upper hand, these royal brats all play to the King's favor.

Before the King can lead the masses in another series of jokes, I say, "If the King will not respect his first deal, let me perform the tasks that you assigned in trade for my brother's life."

The laughter dies as quickly as it started, and now all eyes are on the King. His smug expression solidifies into his marble mask.

"Or maybe the King is too afraid to keep either of the deals he made with 'the mortal girl.'" I say, adding extra emphasis on my condescending title.

My breath stops altogether now as I wait for his response. I know my cockiness will either move him into checkmate, or he'll overturn the board and order the guards to kill me. His kingdom, his rules.

As I watch his face, I can see how the ice in his eyes starts to crash together like colliding glaciers. The crack along his throne cuts deeper, and I wonder if it will crumble beneath him.

"Come, my loyal subjects." He says, his voice just louder than a whisper that frosts over my skin. "Let the mortal entertain us before the feast."

Guards show up out of nowhere and start to escort me from the room. Everyone else is talking in soft, surprised voices, shuffling behind me with their haughty airs in tow. Our group leaves the castle and the guards basically shove me into a chariot. As the horses move toward the pastures, I look back to see the others separating into groups of two or three and stepping into chariots before following us.

One of the guards—who stands with his arm blocking the exit like I might jump out or something—tells me to turn around. So I face the front and battle against my fear that's threatening to take me over.

We reach the pasture as the sun rests at its peak in the sky. The frozen dew is melting from the ground as I'm led over the last hill and down into the grassy bowl. Several horses are gathered in the distance, grazing peacefully. I see Skye's head raise up to watch me. Seeing her floods my heart with too many emotions. While I'm relieved that she made it back here safely, and excited because I never thought I'd see her again, all of that is quickly brushed aside when I sense her confusion.

She knows I'm not supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be back home with Darren where it's safe.

No one needs to call to her. She trots over on her own, keeping her gaze on me like she's trying to figure out what went wrong.