Chapter 35 - Disrupt

I want to shut my eyes so I don't have to watch the púka's mouth close over my head, but I can't tear my gaze away from the rows of her needle-sharp teeth glinting at me. Right when I'm sure she'll lunge forward and chomp me to bits, a piercing whinny erupts from her throat. I jump back, feeling like my heart just exploded in my chest.

"My jesting frightened you, did it not?"

Her tone is smug. Eager even. I place a hand on the nape of my neck and feel how my pulse is pressing frantically against my palm.

"Yeah." Is all I can say.

So the demon horse also has a sick sense of humor. Lovely.

"I watched the Samhain feast from the trees." She says, sounding more collected. "Not only did you force Naoise of Shadows to retreat, but you also attacked that blood lusting monster when she would kill your kin."

"Orla?" I'm surprised the púka knows this much about the royal Fae. I thought she just terrorized the forest and ate anyone she met. Except me I guess.

"Yes." All humor is gone now as her eyes darken into a deep red. "Her lust for power has poisoned the Otherworld. She knowingly invited the darkness where it does not belong. Now every creature lives in fear of what is to come."

"The faeries in the castle don't seem that worried." I say as disturbing images of the feast flash through my mind.

Her gaze latches onto mine. "They are not the creatures I speak of, strange child. You have not dwelt with the Fae long enough to realize how vast and diverse our race is. This forest alone is home to thousands of creatures."

She turns her head as faint lights start to glow along the nearest tree. Mushrooms and strange flowers peek out from the bark, and I swear some of them have little eyes that blink back at me. I'm so busy staring at them that I hardly notice an indigo colored will-o-the-wisp bob over to me and hover beside my head.

The púka is watching me with her face turned to the side. "Very curious." She murmurs.

A small, winged creature is floating inside the indigo orb. It's large, black eyes twinkle up at me, and I suddenly remember seeing this creature before.

"Hey, don't I know you?" I say.

It's pixie face nods in excitement. "Yes, and your glow has grown brighter."

Then it zooms away through the branches, leaving behind the sound of tinkling bells. The púka is still observing me, and I clear my throat to disrupt the heavy silence.

"So, you were saying something about how Orla made things pretty crappy for everyone?" I say. At this point, I'll do anything to keep the conversation off of me becoming the púka's next meal. Maybe if I can keep her attention long enough, Cináed and Darren can find a safe place to stay for tonight.

Imagining both of their faces sends a jolt through my chest. Was tonight the last time I would hold Darren's hand? Or see Cináed's smirk light up his green eyes?

"Now is not the moment for this discussion." The púka's voice breaks through my reverie. "You have somehow disrupted the darkness. I speak on behalf of every woodland creature, and offer our sincere appreciation for what you have done."

I swallow hard to fight back the sudden lump of emotion in my throat. Maybe I'm still in shock from all of this, but hearing her say that I managed to do something good, when I thought I'd failed at everything, means more than I expected.

She tosses her long, dark mane. "Come, child. I shall carry you to a place of safety."

Turning around, she offers me her back and I hesitate only a second before climbing on. "Um, could we by chance find my brother first?" I say, wary I'll overstepping my bounds.