Chapter 12

I decided to scrap my previous plan of 5 votes or 10 comments because I want to get this story over with. I'm not going to rush through it but I do want to speed things up a bit and finish up with this story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Jaden's POV]

What was my mother doing in my school? I knew she had trained as a teacher but she had never worked here before, and I figured that she never would. And why now? Now that my father had just started getting over the intense break up, stopped blaming himself so much.

I remember the night like it was yesterday.

She had walked out without a word, saying that she simply didn't love him anymore. No argument, no other reason, just a calm sentence.

And now she was back.

I barely paid any attention to the lesson as I thought this through. I was about to leave when the bell went and I heard my name.

'Jaden, can you stay back a moment please?'

Seth turned to look at me, unsure of whether to stay or go.

'Wait for me outside.' I told him, and he nodded and walked out.

I walked over to the desk and sat down when my mother motioned for me to do so.

'I know this may be a shock to you, and I know you may have preferred me to stay away, but I had to come back.'

'Why? He was just starting to heal. You're going to ruin him all over again.' I didn't shout, I stayed intensely calm, which scared me. I must have been furious.

'It has took me long enough to realise how much I miss your father. As they say, you never know what you have until it's gone. I'm afraid that was true of mine and your father's relationship. I took it for granted, and now I have returned to explain this to him. Even if he doesn't accept my apology, I need to try.'

'And why are you telling me this?'

'Because I'm going to need your help to allow me to talk to him.'

'Why?'

'Because I want to surprise him.'

'You knocking on the door would be surprising enough.'

'True, but I would rather be elaborate and make it rather special, and I know that you know how to make that happen better than most.'

'And how do you know that?'

'I read your play.'

'You what!?'

'I read your play. It was sitting there and I couldn't help but read the first page, and then I got interested and read the rest. I'm afraid it may not go quite as well as you hoped, but I hope, as you do, that it all works out.'

'You know that it was based-?'

'Yep.' She told me. 'It doesn't take a masters degree in literature to know that it's based on a true story.'

'I guess not.' I sighed. 'Can I go now?'

'Will you help me?'

'Yes.'

'Then you can leave. But I do want to meet your new partner at some point.'

'What new partner?' I asked, playing dumb.

'Seth. I noticed it. Psychology remember?'

Yes. I remembered. My incredibly intellectual mother had trained as a teacher as well as a psychologist. And her favourite subject for psychology was me, mainly.