Dumbledore, Gifts and Conversation

As he watched her walk away, Malfoy didn’t know what to think anymore. There was a part of him that was glad she was the one to his secret, yet another part that screamed danger. Not only was he actually caring about a mudblood, but she was meddling with his business. This meant no good. He wouldn’t go to the Room of Requirement, not today. Instead, his feet took him to the library where he gladly started reading. Anything to occupy himself… But still, he couldn’t chase the memories out of his mind. He hoped Cleaver was right: he didn't want to follow his father's hollow path. In the past, Lucius had always made the decisions for him. Now that he was older, he could see the choice; not that he had any though. His father still controlled his life, no matter how many miles separated them. Every day, Malfoy was updating his views on the world, views that his father had carefully chosen for him when he was younger, views that censored his reality. He was a Malfoy, and therefore supposed to follow the family tradition. Nobody cared what he thought about it or how he felt. Well, nobody except for this Cleaver girl. 

*** 

Maria was on her way to her common room, still somewhat shocked by her recent encounter. She simply could not believe she had just had a near decent exchange with Malfoy. He had acted so calm, so detached, as if he was concealing something – there had to be something else she was missing. Then again, the thought of being murdered would be enough to drive anyone beserk. Still, it all resembled a dream more than reality.

As she passed by Dumbledore’s office, something struck her. She had made a deal with herself, a long time ago. It went as follows: she would tell Dumbledore about her suspicions if she still didn’t know what Malfoy was up to, which was true. However, she wasn’t too sure anymore if she wanted to tell the Headmaster. She was, after all, closer to uncovering the truth. But on the other hand, if his task was as dangerous as she thought it was, Dumbledore ought to know. He was Dumbledore for Merlin’s sake! He could always make things work and solve any problems. 

She advanced to the stone gargoyle, paused a moment, wondering, and asked to see Dumbledore. Nothing happened. Flushing, she turned around, feeling ridiculous, talking to a statue. But as she made to leave, the gargoyle freed the way, revealing a twisting stone staircase. She climbed the high steps and arrived face to face with a large, dark wooden door. She suddenly felt very intimidated; never before had she set foot in the Headmaster’s office. Yet, she had been through Malfoy’s obnoxious intimidation; surely she needn’t worry. 

She knocked three times on the door and it opened almost immediately. Dumbledore was peering into an old stone basin that lay on his desk. He lifted his gaze over his half-moon spectacles and looked at Maria: 

"How may I be of help?" 

"I’m sorry to interrupt you, Headmaster, but there’s something I would like to tell you… If you don’t mind," she added quickly, nervous. 

"And what may that be?" 

His voice was welcoming and calm. It was very soothing, which helped Maria un-tense a little. 

"It’s about Malfoy, Sir, Draco Malfoy." 

"Ah…" 

The Headmaster gestured for her to sit down in the chair facing his desk. As she did so, he continued: 

"I knew from the start it would be impossible for him to hide it from everyone. It does not surprise me that a bright witch such as you has figured it out. Now, how much do you know?" 

"I know that the Dark Lord has given him a mission. I suspect him of being a D – she forced herself to say it – a Death Eater. His task has something to do with the Room of Requirement, since he spends all his time there. It’s dangerous and he thinks he’s going to fail. He doesn’t want anyone getting involved for their own sakes, but I think it’s also for his too, because the cost is his death. It seems to me as though he doesn’t want to do it anymore; he’s proven to be... different . I’ve come here to ask if you could help him."