Veritaserum

The big day finally came, and Maria was barely able to concentrate during her classes. She hadn’t truly spoken to Malfoy in two weeks for two reasons: because of what she was about to do that night and because of what she had discovered concerning Dumbledore. His involvement proved that this was some serious stuff, and all of a sudden, her trust in him had faltered and she felt a certain uneasiness whenever she was around him. 

Malfoy was anxious to see Maria again this Friday night on prefect duty. Last week, she had strangely insisted on being left alone, her only excuse being ‘to cover more ground’. Like he was going to believe that. He had been right about her; she was drawing away, and he would have to do something tonight if he wanted to prevent that. She was the only person who could give him the courage and trust he needed to get through this... without her… Merlin, did he feel lost. 

*** 

In the Great Hall, Maria and Hermione kept throwing quick glances at each other. They ate and headed back to their respective common rooms. Maria laid her homework in front of her but couldn’t concentrate; every now and then, she would glance at the clock that hung magically on the wall and count down the minutes in her head. It seemed like she had waited a lifetime before it finally indicated ten o’clock. Hermione and she both made it safely to the prefects’ bathroom and as expected, they were alone. Hermione extended a small vial of clear liquid to Maria. She looked at it with a frown. 

"I’m saving the rest; it can always come in useful," Hermione said. 

"Are you sure it’ll work?" asked Maria, still looking at the small bottle. 

"Positive." 

"So I won’t poison him by accident." 

"Not a chance." 

"Alright…" 

Maria took the small vial reluctantly. She still didn’t think it was the right thing to do, but she didn’t have much of a choice anymore. 

"What are you planning to do to get him to drink it?" Hermione asked curiously. 

"Well, tonight I’m on prefect watch with him, so I thought I would just confund him into drinking it and alter his memory afterwards." 

"Oh –" Hermione looked somewhat disappointed by her plain scheme, "well, at least it’s easy to remember... nice and simple. The amount I gave you will only be effective for about ten minutes, so hurry up! I’ll be at the library tomorrow morning; come and find me there." 

"See you." 

They left the huge bathroom and went their own ways. Maria, wanting to get this over with, immediately started looking for Malfoy and found him standing where they usually met. He looked strangely solemn as she approached him. She didn’t even bother saying hi: she double-checked if they were alone, held out her wand to him and blatantly said ‘Confundo’. That wasn’t the hard part – besides, she had always dreamed of jinxing Mafloy. The challenge was giving him the Veritaserum. She took the small vial in the palm of her hand. She looked at it, then at Malfoy, frowning. She had known this would happen. She had known that when the time came she wouldn’t want to give him the potion. But she also knew that knowing his secret meant a lot, so she swiftly pulled the cork off and tipped the water-like liquid down his throat before she could change her mind again. Nothing happened. Well, that’s what she thought at first, but when after taking a closer look, she noticed that something was different in his eyes. It seemed like they were unable to focus; like they were looking right through her instead of at her. It wasn’t a very comfortable feeling, but she continued nonetheless, not wanting to lose precious time. 

"What exactly are you up to?" 

"I’m trying to figure out how you feel," the confunded Malfoy said robotically and without any emotions.