Hermione Thank's

In the Great Hall, that same Saturday evening, Hermione waited until Maria had finished eating to catch her on her way out. Seeing her rushing towards her, Maria stopped in her tracks and greeted her. Hermione eagerly did the same:

"Thank you so much for your help this morning!" she said cheerfully, clutching yet another stack of books, "and all of the other times…"

"No problem."

Maria smiled warmly in return, truly appreciating Hermione’s thanks, since looking through the entire library wasn’t quite her favourite activity. Out of habit, her eyes then swiftly faltered over to the Slytherin table and Hermione, who noticed, threw a quick look too; she tried to smile, but she looked more bitter than anything.

"Who would’ve known…" Hermione spoke slightly above a whisper.

Maria blushed but there was still the shadow of a smile across her face. 

"Certainly not me," she stated.

Hermione sighed quietly. 

"When Harry and Ron found out... well," she said distantly, lost in the memory, "you should have seen the Gryffindor common room that night; it was chaotic."

Maria could feel Hermione’s anxious and scrutinizing gaze on her, and it made her uncomfortable. She didn’t like being the subject of such attention... and being reminded of all those lovely rumors.

"I can’t blame them though," Maria added, "but what about you?"

She turned back to Hermione hesitantly, unsure whether or not she really wanted to know the answer. Hermione thought for a moment during which she studied her friend carefully. She had that glimmer in her eye that Maria knew meant she was telling the truth.

"I’m… preoccupied."

Maria frowned gently, perplexed; Hermione took it as a sign to continue.

"He’s Malfoy, Maria, for Merlin’s sake. I can’t just pretend that I’ve forgotten the past five and some years! Plus there’s this whole secret thing with You-Know-Who that surely can’t be of any good..."

Maria’s heart sunk; partly because she had been reminded of this all too pleasant business with the Dark Lord and because Hermione had been, well, realistic. She had been living in a dream for the past few days; it was about time someone pulled her back down to earth... and earth is, unfortunately, not always that pleasant.

"I know you don’t trust him, but can you please trust me?"

"But he’s a Death Eater, Maria! He may not want to be one anymore, but he still is!" Hermione cried out, imploring her friend to see reason.

"I know, I’ve been through that argument a million times with myself already," she mumbled through gritted teeth to herself before answering loudly again, "but doesn’t the fact that he’s ready to betray the Dark Lord prove something?"