The Astronomy Tower

He ran, his heart thumping loudly and his breath uneven and rough. He reached the bottom of the Astronomy Tower’s staircase after what seemed like hours. He climbed the steps two by two and was almost half-way up when he ran into an unwanted wanderer.

"Impedimenta!" he yelled at the sight of black robes.

Snape, who was hurrying down the stairs, deflected the hex with a flick of his wand.

"Easy, Draco."

Draco looked at Snape, frowning; he could still make this work out for him if he played the obedient Death Eater.

"What are you doing?" Draco demanded with a hard tone.

"Luring the Headmaster since he is," Snape said slowly, "absent."

He looked at the young boy with a suspicious scowl, letting his wand-hand down. This was Draco’s chance: he lunged for Snape’s legs, sending him tumbling down the stairs. He watched as the professor hit the ground and remained there, his body spread-out and unmoving. Draco quickly stood up again, panting heavily, and mounted the rest of the staircase. He waited behind the door at the very top; he had to warn Dumbledore.

He rested his ear on the wooden door, straining himself for the slightest noise, shaking slightly. He must have stayed like that for no less than fifteen minutes, and his muscles ached from holding the same position for so long, but he didn’t bother. He was used to drowning pain.

Draco gave a start as voices were heard on the other side. He counted two, but recognized neither of them since the door muffled them effectively. However, one of them had to be Dumbledore’s, so he opened the door brusquely.

The Headmaster stood right in front of him, wand already raised, but Draco was surprisingly faster: he disarmed the old man without him even fighting back. Draco looked around: Dumbledore was strangely alone, yet two brooms were lying on the floor.

"Draco."

The Headmaster was crippled against the ramparts, very pale; he seemed very weak. Even his voice was feeble, yet he was smiling.

"Who’s here?"

Dumbledore peered over his half-moon spectacles at Draco, the ghostly green light of the Dark Mark reflecting on both their faces.

"I was about to inquire the same thing," Dumbledore said calmly.

Draco glanced nervously at the two brooms again; he knew the Headmaster wouldn’t tell him anything. So, he continued with what he had to do.

"Death Eaters are in the school," the young boy admitted shamefully.

"Impressive, indeed," Dumbledore stated in his startlingly calm manner, "how did you manage?"

"Vanishing cabinets," Draco divulged a bit bewildered by Dumbledore strange demeanour: the man was unarmed, completely at his mercy, yet he seemed confident and peaceful. "You have to leave Professor, now."