Making Things Personal

"Ah, I knew I’d find you here." 

Maria was reading a book, sitting in the bed next to Malfoy’s. It was Sunday night, and Maria watched curiously as Hermione walked up to her between the rows of hospital beds. 

"I’ve looked for you everywhere yesterday! Where were you?" 

"I was with Davies." 

Hermione raised an eyebrow. She threw a careless look at Malfoy’s dreadful body and didn’t even bother asking about his state; old habit. 

"I think you have the right to know the circumstances under which this happened, before you start judging Harry-" 

"Hermione, he hasn’t brainwashed me. I was judging him," she said pointing an accusing finger at Malfoy’s lifeless form. 

"Right, well just so you know, I don’t think Harry acted appropriately. In fact, I think he was being rather stupid." 

Maria closed her book and looked at Hermione with a highly interested expression. 

"Harry stumbled upon Malfoy in a corridor on Friday night and he was teary." 

"Who?" 

"Him." 

"Harry?" 

"No! Malfoy was!" 

Maria laughed out loud until she remembered what had actually happened on Friday night. She stopped immediately; she had also been very teary... She looked at Hermione with a serious face and said in a shaky voice: 

"Really?" 

Hermione nodded briefly.

"That’s what Harry said. Anyway, Malfoy reached out for his wand, but Harry was faster. He then stupidly yelled a spell he had found in his stupid potion’s book invented by that stupid Half-Blood Prince without even knowing what it did. All it said was ‘for enemies’ so Harry stupidly tried it and apparently almost killed Malfoy!" 

"Well, he’s all right now. At least, we think…" 

"That’ll really make Ron and Harry’s day." 

Maria threw Hermione an awkward glance. 

"I didn’t mean to offend you or anything; it’s just that I don’t trust him," Hermione said stubbornly. 

"To be honest, I don’t either. As soon as he comes out of his coma, I’m questioning him and I’m not taking no as an answer. I’ll threaten to slash him up again if I have to."

Hermione laughed even though she wasn’t sure if it had been a joke or not. She then left after wishing Maria good night. She had just opened her book again when a familiar voice drawled:

"A simple ‘Get Well’ card would’ve been enough." 

Maria jumped out of her seat. Malfoy, apparently, was well awake, a huge smirk plastered across his pale face. 

"I’m sick of waiting around for you, so you are going to tell me exactly what this little job of yours is all about!" she burst out, a dangerous look in her turquoise eyes.

"Usually, it takes you at least two replicas before you start yelling." 

"I’m serious Malfoy! I’m not taking no for an answer!" 

"Neither do I." 

He grinned widely, revealing a set of perfect, white teeth, and Maria knew exactly what he was referring to. She let out an angry and desperate cry; partly because he was being impossible, and partly because of his too good looks. It didn’t even matter if he was all battered up; he still looked incredibly handsome. She fell back onto the bed and looked at Malfoy desperatly, holding her head in her hands.