Chapter 9

The next couple of nights consisted of my twice a week recurring dream.(Rule #7) It was another one of my crush singing to me in the cafe. And a dream about my mom. 

We were sitting in my old house around the kitchen table. She was speaking to me with a concerned look on her face, but her words were inaudible. I tried so hard to hear her but I couldn't. 

I asked her over and over again to speak louder, to the point where she looked like she was screaming at me, but I still couldn't hear her. I was crying out of frustration because I knew somehow what she was saying was important. So I got up got a piece of paper and a pen. I slid it over to her and she began to write. When she slid it back it was written in an illegible type of font. I couldn't read it... 

When I woke up, I sat up in my bed and began to sob. The nuns were tolling the bell but I didn't pay any attention. I just sat there in my bed and let the tears flow through my fingers and onto my sheets. I buried my face into my palms and pulled my knees up to my chest. About twenty minutes after the bell had tolled and my absence was noticed, Sister Liza came looking for me. 

She entered the room in silence, I hadn't noticed her presence until she sat on my bed. I jumped, startled and wiped my eyes. She placed her hand on my knee and sighed. 

"Anna Lee, what's wrong dear?" Her voice was soft and understanding. 

"It was a dream about my mom. She was trying to tell me something, but I couldn't hear her. I tried having her write it down but I couldn't read the words... I am just so confused. "

She didn't say anything else, she wrapped her arms around me.

" I'm sorry I skipped chores." I said sniffling. 

"It's alright dear, just get them done some time today... no get up, I need to check you." 

I got off the bed and she made me strip all the way down to my underwear and bra. My wounds from the dragon were gone and the cuts from my dad had faded thanks to Rule #2.