Chapter 19

Lucy starred at the body that laid before her, her body was completely frozen. She didn't know what to do, her mind shut off completely. Too in shock to move and speak.

Natsu quickly got off of Stings lifeless body, blood seeping out of his body and onto the cement floor.  He frantically thought of a way to cover it up, but by then it would be too late. Stuffing the gun into his pants, he grabbed the briefcases and Lucy's hand, running away from the place cops would be swarming in a few minutes. 

They got into the car he parked in the parking lot, ripping off his shirt, he started it and drove away. Natsu had seen death before, but this time he was the one to take another life. Surprisingly, it wasn't the fact that he murder Sting, he was bothered that he drug Lucy into his problem. 

"Natsu, please Stop." Lucy yelled, hitting her hand against the dashboard. 

Lucy panicked, on moment they were fighting, the next one of them was dead. She was relived that Natsu wasn't the one, but devastated that Sting died. He may not have been the man she once knew, but the good memories they shared were haunting her with the images of his lifeless body.

Ntaus pulled over to the side of the road, turning to Lucy. His hands covered his face as his brain replayed the moments leading up the the event. It all happened so fast, he couldn't recall actually pulling the trigger.

"We need to regroup." Lucy frantically said, the action was taking a toll on her. "W-we need to get out of town . . . we need to go far away from here." She started hyperventilating.

"Look at me." He told her, grabbing her hand, trying to calm her down. "You did nothing, okay, I did everything. But you are right, we do need to get out of here." He kissed her forehead. "I will protect you, I promise."

He threw on another hoodie he placed in the back, restarting the engine, they were back to driving away. 

Silence fell over the couple, neither of them wanted to speak of the event. It was supposed to go smoothly, but everything went so wrong. Natsu thought about ways he would kill Sting and his father, but now that he had done it, one burden was replaced with another. 

He was quietly thinking about the event, every moment leading up to the trigger being pulled. Something he would have liked to do differently, but they would have all ended with the same or similar results: one of them would have died. 

Natsu glanced at Lucy, who was staring out of the car window. He wanted to say something, hoping she was okay. Knowing that one of her life long friends was killed in front of her, he remained silent. 

As night was shortly upon them, Natsu pulled into the nearest hotel they saw. He let out a sigh, the day was eventful, he signaled Lucy to follow him. He grabbed a few bags they had prepared and took them inside. 

They checked into their hotel, without a hitch. Once Lucy and Natsu were inside the room Natsu sat on the bed. 

"I am going to take a shower." Lucy said, colder than her normal warming voice. Natsu acknowledge it, but didn't say a word.

He put his head in his hands. Now that it start to sink in, he thought of himself as a monster, a cold-hearted murderer. The thoughts that he had kept at bay for so long were starting to resurface. Telling him he was everything like his father, he killed a man and felt no remorse afterwards.

He rocked a little back and forth. He deserved it, Natsu thought, he was going to hurt her. I needed to protect her.

Maybe Lucy wouldn't love him any more now that she knows what he truly is. He was broken from the start, what if this is just too much for her to handle. It was possible that she would take off in the middle of the night, leaving him out to dry. 

He thought of all the terrible things his father had done, and compared it to what he had just done. Sting was loved by his father, if anything Igneel would want revenge for Sting's death. Since he doesn't know it was Natsu, maybe he might get away from the demon himself. 

He looked at his hands, wondering how could his own hands kill another human being. Was he different from his father? Someone who hurt him all of his life, someone who killed the ones he held precious to him.

"Natsu, what's wrong." The suddenness of Lucy's voice caused him to jerk. He didn't move or speak. She knelt down in front of him, her body wrapped in a towel and her hair still damp from the shower. "Natsu?"

"Please don't." He looked away from her. "I am a monster."

"Natsu, you're not a-"

"Yes I am. You could call me my fathers son after all." Natsu became hysterically frightened at himself. "You saw what I did. I felt no remorse afterwards. I killed him and I felt nothing!"

Lucy jumped up and hugged the emotional man. His head rested on her chest as she wrapped him in her warmth. He seemed to have mildly calmed down with just her touch. He let a few tear leave his eyes. 

"It's not your fault." Her voice sounded like a lullaby to him. "Yes, it happened. Things happened so fast and it wasn't your fault. If it wasn't for you, I would have." - She didn't even want to say the word - "You are my hero, Natsu. Sometimes Hero's do bad things to protect the ones they love."

He looked at her with his broken eyes. How was he lucky to find a girl that would accept him for his past and all of his demons. He brought his lips to hers, kissing her passionately.

"I don't know where I would be without you." He said as she pushed back his spiky hair. He loved the way her touch felt on his skin. 

"I love you," she said kissing him on his forehead. "For you. That means all the bad things you have done, will do - depending on what it is."

Natsu laughed and captured her lips in his, rolling them over so he was now on top. He moved the hair out of her eyes. "Lucy, I care a lot about you possible more than even I understand." He loved her, but he didn't want to say it. To him, saying it was the worst thing he could do, everything he loves left him, he wanted her to stay.  

 "I love you too, idiot." Lucy pulled him down to her, embracing his warmth filling her every being.

He was glad he didn't have to say it for her to know how much she meant to him. She was his everything, he didn't want to lose her to something that was after him.

The feeling inside of him that he has felt multiple times before filled his being. He looked at her skin, still wet from the shower. Her body was calling out to him, like a sirens call. That night he answered it, over and over until he passed out.

******************************

I am sooooo sorry for being so inactive to this book. I was working on another Nalu fanic of min that I just recently finished and have to update. But no excuses, but here is the next chapter. I will say this book may have a few chapters left before I decide to end it. 

I have a special twist to the ending. SO for those of you that are still with me in this book, I thank you for your patience. See you really soon, I promise.