Started from the Bottom

"Johnny?" I heard a soft voice speak. I looked up quick and saw Rachael, she scared me. "Are you crying?" she asked as she came toward me. Oh shoot. I instantly wiped my face with the collar of my shirt, "Uh...I....yeah." "Aww you poor thing, are you okay?" "Oh, yeah, I'm fine." She got on her knees and sort of hugged me, "no, what's wrong?" "Oh just...you know, the end of all life and humanity," I gave off a fake chuckle.

"Well I'm sorry," she said and kissed my cheek. I felt a little spark from that. She seems to like kissing my cheek.

"Oh, no it's ok. I was just..." I sighed, "just thinking about my family and all the memories and stuff." She looked at me with a sad face. She looked very pretty though, with her luscious bangs hanging over her bright eyes.

"Don't worry about it though, how are you? Are you okay?" I asked, I didn't want to stay on this topic.

"Oh, me? I'm okay," she said. "You sure? You actually seem to be very quiet; you're very tough you know that?" She became a little stunned, but in a good way. I tried to convert the subject again, "Hey, have I ever told you that I like your hair?" I said quite fast.

"Oh, I don't think so, thank you," she gave off a little smile. I smiled too, "I think only 2% of the whole world has natural red hair." "Oh wow, really?" I chuckled and got up, "Yeah. Well I'm gonna go shower now, see you soon." "Okay," she replied happily.

I loved making people happy, especially when they were sad; or when the day turned out crappy.

I found the bathroom, and wow it was nice. It was huge too; it had multiple sinks and lights everywhere.

I undressed and entered the glass-like shower. Almost everything was in gold color.

The water was warm but yet painful as it revealed all of my wounds. "Ouch." I had many cuts all over me and some bruises. Wow I was messed up; but dang my friends went through hell. I wonder if Jenny is okay, her fall really put an impact on her back. God it's a miracle that none of us have broken anything.

I got out of the shower and wrapped a green towel around my waist. It looked nice; but I'm pretty sure that everything is nice in this house.

I opened the bathroom door and walked to a bedroom. It had a big wardrobe full of clothes. The clothes looked...a bit fancy. I didn't really like fancy. Searching through some drawers I found some casual clothing I could wear. Holy crap it was cold. I planned on wearing these checkered pajama pants and a warm long-sleeve shirt over a white t-shirt.

As I started putting on the t-shirt Adam came in, "Hey dude are you-dang you're buff." I chuckled and pulled down the shirt, "no I'm not." "Dude, yes you are, do you work out?" I laughed, "Sure." Adam seemed to be interested in this sudden topic. "I used to take jogs around the neighborhood, you know, before the apocalypse started," I put on the gray long-sleeve. "Plus, all this running from zombies is a great benefit," I said jokingly.

"Now let's go downstairs, I like your robe by the way." He had this black robe-like piece of clothing on. "Thanks," he said. It was sarcasm but I don't think he knew that.

As we walked down the stairs I asked him about his injuries. He said he had a few scratches but nothing too bad; hopefully he was telling the truth.

We found our way to the kitchen, the girls were in the living room, or one of the living rooms.

Wow there was a lot of food, but most was spoiled. So we ate some peanuts and descent fruit with water. This food is healthy, I love healthy. Healthy is what keeps us strong and alive.

We met the others on the sofas. "So what's up? What do we do from this point on?" said Nancy. Hmm I feel like she hasn't spoken much these past few days.

"Well the good news is that we're safe now, and we have weapons. But the bad news is that there's no trace of my grandpa," Adam replied. I like receiving the bad news first.

"Hey, at least we're safe right? We started from the bottom of America to the top," I said. "Yeah but brrr, the top is cold," Sabrina said. We all laughed. "What's so funny? I'm serious."

It was actually kind of chilly, probably because of that one window we broke.

Later the night was black, sound was dead, and air was frozen. I went to sleep in the one room I found my pjs in. The covers were very warm and heavy. The pillows were nice and soft, and the clothes I had on helped. It was almost impossible to not fall asleep.

Hours later I woke up, to an unusual noise. It was so weird, it sounded like Predator. Whatever it was, it was right outside the bedroom door. Holy shit I was scared.

I got off the bed slowly, luckily the bed didn't creak. I grabbed the first thing I saw, which was a lamp. I almost knocked it down, my eyes still needed to adjust to the dark. I quickly lifted it up, which caused the plug to pull out of the outlet loudly.

Whatever was making the noise, it backed away from the door and left. What do I do now? I decided to go looking after it; as I headed across the room I rolled up the cord around the lamp.

Wow my heart was beating fast. The door was open only a little. I slowly grabbed the edge of the door. If I opened it slowly it'd probably creak, so I don't want to risk it. I had to open it quickly.

I got ready, my heart was pounding. I then pulled open the door and kicked. There was nothing here.

I'd always punch after opening a door when I'm scared, but in this case, I kicked because I had a lamp in my hand.

Now I walked slowly through the hall, heel to toe. I was always good at keeping quiet.

I found the stair case, and walked down it slowly. I heard a soft whisper-like sound. I was sweating, I didn't know what to do. I was now on the ground, and I can see its eyes in the distance. The eyes....glowed...blue. Neon blue, midnight blue. It glared at me from down the hall.

I...I stood in place, what do I do? Holy crap, I don't think this is a zombie, it's a fucking monster or alien or something.

After a few seconds it took a step closer, and closer. It passed by a boarded window and the thin lines of moonlight helped reveal the beast.

It was...crazy tall, muscular...it had four arms! Three toes on each giant foot, no nose, small mouth.

As I was examining it, the cord slipped out of my sweaty hands and hit the ground. The noise seemed to enrage the creature. The monster screeched loudly and came running at full speed towards me!

I freaked out, I threw the lamp at it and ran up the steps. The beast caught the lamp and threw it at a wall, breaking it.

It kept on coming, I ran up the steps as fast as I could, but tripped on the last one. I tried to get up fast but slipped on the hardwood floor.

I knew I was done. The abomination leaped into the air and got ready to crush me.