Monsters

We have begun moving up the road, quickly and quietly. I felt so angry! I didn't notice I was crying until the tears made my face itch. I took a glance at Adam and Jennifer, they looked like they were crying too.

"Hey um...guys, I'm sorry for..." I wiped my tears, my voice came out a bit differently, "for acting like a maniac."
"It's alright man, let's just focus on getting to that Square place."
I corrected him softly, "Shelby Square."
"Right."

As we spent a few minutes dodging the zombies' attention, and hiding behind vehicles, we heard a ruckus.

I peeked over the Dodge Ram we were hiding behind, and saw a couple of Runners tearing apart a corpse. They were eating it like pigs, but then some sort of high-pitched growl was given off somewhere and out from an old building came a huge motherfucker charging at the Runners! One got out of the way but the other was hit, carried, and smashed against an old Cadillac Escalade!

"What was that?!" Jenny said in a loud whisper. I turned to her astonished, "holy shit! This big freaking beast came out of nowhere and smashed a Runner!" We made sure not to make too much noise with our gasping.

A couple minutes later I peeked over the hood and saw the beast eating the leftovers of the corpse. The other Runner must've took off somewhere. As I examined this special monster, I took notice that it looks similar to the Charger in the Left 4 Dead video game franchise. So that's what we'll call it, the Charger.

"Alright, let's go guys. Quietly." We moved around the back of a building to stay unnoticed. Hopefully we don't run into any unpleasant surprises.

As we walked in our heel-toe formation I started to feel water drops. Tiny ones, like drizzle. I looked up to the sky, it was dark gray and sprinkling. "I think we should hurry, I don't know when it's officially nightfall."

So we kept on moving quietly, but more quickly. Overtime the drizzle evolved to rain, and I felt pain in all my cuts and scrapes. We were all moving along the sides of buildings until we saw an emergency kit opened on the ground.

I kneeled down and dumped what remained inside the bag. The only thing that would be useful were a pair of scissors, everything else such as medicine was either empty or spilt.

"Well that sucks," Jenny sighed. I put the scissors in my pocket, just in case I'd need them for something. After our brief rest we continued moving.

The rain got a bit heavier; I used to love the rain, but now I hate it. The sky grew darker and I was beginning to worry. We can't miss that helicopter. I also noticed that I slept like over 12 hours, due to extreme exhaustion; and now the day is almost over.

We were starting to see less buildings and more trees. Then we saw a sign that said "Shelby Square" with a caption under it saying "2 Miles".

"Two miles?! Damn it, maybe we should jog, I don't see any zombies around. Just try not to run through puddles."
"Alright, just don't go too fast. My body is aching," Adam said.
I responded in, "that's what she said."
Adam looked at me with an irritated expression, "Really?"
I chuckled,"What? I thought I'd lift up the mood a bit."

As we jogged, I noticed how beautiful the trees looked in the rain. We were jogging on a wide road in between a ton of trees on both sides, so whenever the road would curve I'd get scared, not knowing what was ahead.

"Looks like all that time working out really helped huh?" I said as we jogged without a rest.
"Yeah," muttered Jenny.

As we came around a turn we saw an abandoned vehicle, all beat up. The driver's door was open, it was a black BMW, a newer model.