6 | Fall Back

Peter began sword fighting two guards as I ran up behind one, slicing his neck with my dagger. Peter thanked me as he fought off the other. He sliced at him as the man fell over and we ran forward. Peter and I began cranking the gate open and Susan ran up.

"Peter its too late" she shouted at him. "We have to call it off while we can."

"No I can still do this" Peter announced, his stubbornness taking over.

"Peter I love you but I think they might be right" I stated as he continued opening the gate. I looked back and saw torches coming our way.

"Avalon please" he began with pleading eyes. I sighed, placing my hands back on the gate and helping him crank it open.

"Exactly who are you doing this for?" Susan asked as we cranked it open. He just ignored her question as we breathlessly turned it more. People ran towards us and my hands began shaking unsteadily.

"Peter hurry" I said harshly, making him turn the handle faster.

"I'm trying love" he returned, a small bit of panic taking over his usual calm tone.

The troops approached so I turned, loading my bow.

"For Narnia" Peter let out as we ran forward.

I shot an arrow into anyone getting close as I ran through the enemies.

"PETER I'M OUT" I yelled but he couldn't hear me. I turned slapping someone across the face with my bow sending them to the ground. I put my bow on my back and whipped out my daggers. I saw someone run behind Peter with a sword. He couldn't stop them where as he was fighting the man in front of him. I ran to the man slicing him in the back deep and pulling my daggers out. I nodded at Peter before running ahead. Someone ran down stairs at Susan and I threw my dagger hitting him in the chest. I ran forward removing it and running on. I looked up to see them surrounding us above pointing arrows. One pointed at Peter and I gasped running to push Peter out of the way but not before Edmund slid down the roof kicking the man off the side.

"ED RUN" I yelled and he did so.

I saw the leader up top and sent him a harsh glare in which he returned. I saw Peter running up the stairs towards the man and I began heading towards him as well, held back every 5 seconds with a different telmarine. A minotaur fell right beside me knocking me down and landing on my leg causing me to let out a screech of pain. I scurried out from under him and looked down as he was barely breathing. A sadness washed over me as I placed my hand on his limp arm.

"I'm sorry" I whispered before grabbing his hand.

"Go get them Queen" he said, squeezing my hand.
I nodded running off up the stairs. I saw the gate begin closing and a minotaur ran to it holding it up.

"Peter" I yelled out in panic. I saw him look to me. I pleaded with my eyes not knowing what to do as he swallowed, his eyes scanning the scene.

"Fall back" he yelled. A sense of relief filled me as I nodded to him.

I stood waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs. A centaur grabbed Susan pulling her onto his back and running out.

"Caspian" she yelled back her eyes falling on me.

"I'll find him" I yelled in return before I ran looking for him. Peter grabbed me and I squirmed as he let go.

"You're not going get out" he said sternly. I fought off men and saw Caspian exit a room with a horse and another man on a horse as he sat upon one. He loped by us and Peter jumped on the empty horses back as he grabbed me pulling me on behind him. I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist as we headed to the gate. We ran through and the minotaur fell after we made it, leaving some narnians in the castle. Peter stopped and I looked back, my eyes filling with tears. He looked to me his eyes watery as well.

"We cant leave them" Peter said, his eyes looking longingly into mine.

"RUN" they yelled at us, I looked back to them and shook my head.

"Peter I don't think theres anything we can do" I said rubbing my finger on his stomach lightly.

"PETER THE BRIDGE" mouse yelled from up ahead and we looked to see the bridge lifting. Everyone was over.

"Hold on Avalon" Peter said. I buried my head in his back, holding tightly as we jumped the big gap from the bridge lifting. I had lightly slipped to the side and Peter pulled me back on as we ran a bit behind everyone else. A bird flew over with Edmund on his back.

"Are you ok?" Peter finally asked and I nodded against his back.

"Are you?" I then questioned, already knowing he wasn't.

"I don't think so" he said, letting a tear slip. I sighed with one hand wrapped around him holding me on and one rubbing his back lightly.