012 》uncharacteristic slouch

• someone new // hozier •

Jax was upset. He left his dad's hotel room in a hurry. He took another taxi and ended up in front of the apartment, but with no desire to go to his own place. He looked up at the windows to the apartment where Kaede lived, and he sighed. He took a deep breath and walked up the four flights of stairs. After two knocks and nothing but silence, Jax groaned loudly, resting his forehead on her door.

It was just after 2PM and a weekday. Kaede was at school and wouldn't be home until 4:30PM. Jax slid his back down her door until he hit the floor. He needed to see her. She made him feel better—better than any psychiatrist or bottle of pills ever could. So he waited.

***

4:30PM on the dot, Jax heard footsteps coming from the empty stairwell. He quickly stood, not wanting it to seem like he had been waiting there for over two hours.

Kaede was about to tell him that she didn't want to get into anything at the moment when she noticed his uncharacteristic slouch, his hands in his pockets and his eyes staring at his feet. "What's up?" she asked.

All she could tell was that he needed a hug, and she gave him just that. It was as if all feuds between them were forgotten and she focused on his troubled demeanour. Kaede slipped her arms under his to wrap around his waist, squeezing tightly until he returned her hold. She felt him relax, as he focused on her breathing, with her head against his progressively slowing heartbeat.

"Are you okay?" she whispered.

"Yeah," Jax lied. "I'm good." She didn't push him, knowing he was lying. "I'll tell you everything, Kae. Just... just please let me inside."

"Okay." She stepped back, grabbed his hand and muttered a 'come on.'

She pulled him to her room, and sat with him on her bed, asking him if he wanted to talk. Jax pulled his hand free from hers to scratch the back of his neck, clear his throat, and shake his head.

"Do you mind if we just stay here for a minute first?" he asked quietly.

"Not at all," she gave him a small smile, moving back from the edge of the bed to the head, where she laid her upper back and head on her many pillows.

He kicked his shoes off and lay beside her—not touching, trying to stay respectful. But his need of her grew too strong, and he wrapped an arm across her waist and rested his head on her shoulder. Kaede was stunned at first—never had he been so upfront and affectionate.

She put her arm around his back, rubbing soothingly and making him sigh contentedly, as if finally at peace. Even though he wanted to, Jax couldn't stay like that forever. Eventually, Kaede would ask him what had upset him. So, he answered first.

"I talked to my dad today."