028 》stop jumping

• into the wild // wrabel •

"Please?" the brunette begged.

"I'm already going to this thing, you want another favour?"

They were sitting on her couch as Kaede pleaded with her neighbour to go shopping with her to find a dress to wear to Jaiden's wedding. "Look, I don't exactly have any girlfriends to help me with this. We can get your suit while we're out," she offered.

Jax groaned dramatically. "I have to wear a suit?"

She scoffed, nodding her head. "It's a wedding, Jax. Yes, you have to wear a suit."

"Fine," he finally gave in. "When do you want to do this?"

"We're not busy right now." Jax guffawed at her, waving his hand frantically at her television as he tried to speak. Kaede rolled her eyes, "Watching Lord of the Rings does not classify as 'busy.' You've seen every movie at least a dozen times."

"And?" he asked incredulously.

She sighed, standing up and grabbing her purse, "Let's go before I injure you."

***

"What do you think?" Kaede asked again after the twentieth dress.

"Yeah, it's nice," Jax said uninterestedly, his chin propped on his hand as he sat, elbow leaning on his knee.

"Nice? You've said that about the last ones."

He sighed, standing up and walking over to where she stood in front of the mirror. "They're all nice. It's just not... you."

The lady who was helping them, Angela, spoke up, "How about I find you a couple more?"

Kaede smiled warmly at the polished, middle-aged woman, "That'd be great. Thank you." Her face fell as the associate left. "I don't know what to do," she admitted, defeated.

When the woman returned with a few more dresses, Kaede took them back into the changing room, and Jax flopped down on the big seat cushion in the middle of the space.

"Your girlfriend is very pretty," said Angela quietly to Jax.

"Yeah, she is," agreed Jax with a small smile. Then he fully processed the woman's statement and quickly interjected, "Wait, she's not my girlfriend."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Oh, my apologies. You two just seem very close."

"Well, we—we are, but we're not dating," he chuckled awkwardly.

"You don't have to defend yourself. It was my mistake," Angela said, placing her jewelry-covered hand on her chest sincerely.

Jax smiled tightly, nodding from where he sat as the woman left the room. "You doing okay in there?" he called toward Kaede's stall.

"Yeah, I'll be out in a minute."

Jax stood, telling the girl he'd be back and walking out toward the women's department to find something himself. He searched through the dresses, genuinely amazed at the selection women had. He skimmed the colours, designs, and styles until he found one that made him think of his brunette best friend.

He got back into the room just as Kaede had walked out of her stall, wearing her regular clothes and throwing the dresses onto the seat with a loud huff. "I give up. I'll just get Harper to bring me something."

"Try this one," Jax offered, holding out the dress he'd chosen.

She looked at it skeptically before she sighed, deciding trying on one more dress wouldn't be the end of the world.

Kaede came out wearing the sleeveless, baby blue dress with pale pink flowers littering the fabric. It fell mid-thigh on her, and the neckline came just below her collarbone. She held it to her chest and swept her hair to her shoulder, turning away from Jax. "Can you help me? I can't reach it."

He stepped forward, though was momentarily stunned in place at how beautiful she looked. He zipped the dress up the rest of the way she couldn't, then lightly nudged her toward the mirror.

He smiled widely as she stood in front of the large, floor length mirror. "See? It looks amazing. You should get it."

"I don't know," she admitted.

Jax put his hands on her waist, looking at her in the mirror over her shoulder. "Seriously, Kae. Buy the dress."

"Okay," Kaede smiled, a small chuckle escaping her lips. Then she gasped, turning around and realizing something. "I need shoes."

"Oh, God. How long does that take?" he asked as she went back into the stall to put on her jeans and black 'preppy sweater,' as he put it earlier that day.

"This part doesn't take much time. Calm down," she said, emerging from the room and tugging Jax's wrist toward the shoe department. She searched the shelves until she found two pairs of pumps in her size. "White, or black?" she asked.

He pursed his lips, looking between the options. "Black."

"There. Done," she sighed happily.

After paying for her dress and shoes, Jax told her to wait outside for him. She did as she was told, unsure of why.

When he came back out, he was carrying his own bag with the department store's label plastered on the side of it.

"What'd you get?" she asked, wanting to see what she assumed to be the suit.

"Don't worry about it. It's just a suit."

"Come on."

"Nope."

"Jax."

"Kaede," he mimicked in the same bemused tone she'd used.

They walked across the parking lot in search of her car while they bickered. "Show me the suit."

"No," Jax stated, lifting the bag as high as he could.

"That's not fair. You have half a foot on me," she said, leaping for it.

"Stop jumping, you look like a child."

"Then show me the suit," Kaede demanded as she spotted her Prius.

"You'll just have to wait until the wedding."

"You're insufferable."

"And you're beautiful," Jax said, quickly kissing her cheek and sprinting toward Kaede's car.

"Now who's the child?" she hollered at him.