024 》heart attack

• i lived // onerepublic •

Kaede woke up with a yelp, clutching her sheets to try to ground herself. She got out of bed and shuffled to the kitchen to get a glass of water, gulping it down.

"I guess—" the voice was cut off by Kaede's scream. She slammed a hand on the light switch in the kitchen while grabbing the closest object, which happened to be a rolling pin.

Her hand rested on her heart in an attempt to calm it when she realized who the voice belonged to. Jax's eyes were closed, and his head was laid back on the arm of the couch in her living room.

"W—what the fuck are you doing here?!" she shouted at him, dropping the rolling pin back onto the counter.

"As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by your scream..." he said as she scoffed. "I guess I should tell you your door was unlocked and I am sleeping here."

He sat up so he could see her and noticed her terrified form wasn't just from the startle she'd had.

"You okay?"

"You damn near g—gave me a heart attack."

Jax stood, sauntering over to the brunette while rubbing his eye with the back of his hand. "I heard you shout. Before, in your room," he clarified, rubbing a hand up and down her arm.

"J—just a nightmare. I'm f—f—fine."

"Since when do you stutter?"

"It's c—c—ca—" Kaede couldn't get the word out. She sighed and started over. "Anxiety. It h—happens."

"Okay," he said quietly. "Do you want to watch TV or something until you calm down? It's still pretty early. You could go back to sleep," he suggested.

She merely nodded her head, not wanting to risk another stutter. He held her hand and walked her over to the couch. He put his feet on the table and let her sink into his chest before she wrapped the blanket around them he'd been using before she woke. He turned the television on to a random cartoon and kept it at a low volume.

"My sister has her girlfriend over so I told her I'd give them the apartment for the night and that you'd be happy to let me sleep here," he said softly while rubbing soothing circles on her back under the blanket.

"I don't mind," she whispered, gladly falling asleep in his arms, where the terrors couldn't reach.