Chapter 14: I Remember

I know its been ages since I updated even though I said I was gonna update more regularly from now on ugh sorry guys ive just been sick and idek ive been in and out of hospital I have no idea what was going on but ive finally updated so woohoo

songs I listen to while writing this chapter:

Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World

Hands Of Time by Rachel Diggs

Freaks by The Hawk In Paris

Who Are You, Really? by Mikky Ekko

Over And Over by 5 Seconds Of Summer

I apologize for being so late with the chapter, much love xo

Caleb

Caleb Andrews was standing before me. So many thoughts rushed around in my mind as if they were on fire, I couldn't think properly. He called me Angel, that was his nickname for me. Billions of memories flooded my head and I began to feel dizzy. My blood was pulsing through my veins and I swear my heart was going to burst out of my chest.

"Ca-Caleb?" I stuttered, walking closer to him and squinting my eyes as if I couldn't really believe he was there. Well, i actually couldn't. Before I could do anything, I felt myself pulled into a strong and warm hug. Caleb hadn't changed much, he would've been 20 now and his boyish charming features had turned into the striking features of a grown man. I was still in shock as he held me to his chest and rested his head in the crook of my neck, the way he used to hold me. I felt him breathing softly, i could tell the memories were flooding his head too. He eventually let me go and held me at arms length.

"I can't believe it's really you! Midge, you look great." He grinned. i finally got my voice back and returned the smile i was unable to stop.

"You look great too, Caleb. What are you even doing here?" I asked, not bothering to wipe the stupid smile off my face.

"We have a lot of catching up to do, how about we get some drinks and sit down?" He said, slinging an arm over my shoulders. I nodded and lead him to the table with the alcohol, Caleb grabbed a beer from the ice bucket.

"Could you grab me a-"

"Cherry vodka, I remember." He chuckled. I blushed a little and snatched the drink from him and took a gulp to sooth my extremely dry throat. Caleb followed my actions, earning a laugh from me for no apparent reason. Everybody was dancing to the loud music as I lead Caleb through the group of moving bodies. All the girls were shaking their hips to Do My Thang by Miley Cyrus as all the guys tried to dance but failed, they couldn't keep up with the song and just danced like idiots instead. I grabbed Caleb's forearm so he wouldn't get lost from me and dragged him through the crowd out onto the balcony. It was way to loud to talk properly inside.

We sat down on the couch that Mia drags out for parties and enjoyed the fresh air for a moment before the talking began. Caleb dragged an esky full of beer that was in our way to the side of the couch. I sat and one end and Caleb sat at the other end so we were both facing each other.

"So what happened with the scholarship?" I started off. I don't know why, but I wanted him to talk first so I wouldn't have to tell him about Niall and his friend.

Caleb took a deep breath and fiddled with his beer bottle. "It was great, amazing really, for a year. Then it started getting stupid. All the older teammates were really competitive. Jace and I were the only ones, out of all six of us with the scholarships, to last a whole year. Jace eventually cracked under the pressure, I followed soon after. It was a shitty week or so after we decided we couldn't handle it anymore." He stopped and cleared his throat. Basketball was his life, I could see the disappointment flashing in his eyes as he spoke. "I told coach that Jace and I were leaving. I had this whole plan to say we had a family emergency and Jace was close enough to basically be apart of the family, so we had to leave. I couldn't go through with that though, I was too scared id get caught lying. So I told him that basketball used to make me feel amazing and on top of the world, it was so natural and calming. But on that team it felt like work, like a really bad job. So we left."