Chapter 3

Quentin's

As soon as I went back to the old cabin where we stayed, Veronica was playing with a coin. "So, how did it go?" She asked. "It went well, I'm gonna go fetch her later at night," I answered. She nodded and continued playing. I minded my own business. I walked to the kitchen, I grabbed an apple and munched on it as I processed what happened earlier. "So that's how advanced it is," I said to myself. The fact that the process became fast and advanced left me in awe. When I became an Athanatos, it took them nearly a month to figure out my identity. It was pretty hard because the group of Athanatos couldn't also quickly find us. The same goes for Veronica, but only two months longer. I remained silent.

The thought of Regan being an Athanatos really got me excited. It's been two years since the last Athanatos was found. As I finished eating the fruit, I went to our room and rummaged my cabinet for something to wear under the cold evening. I grabbed my blue jacket together with my beige sweat pants. I got it on, and it seemed like I needed to go now. As I walked to the front door, Veronica went in my way. "Where are you going?" She asked. "I'm gonna fetch her. Wanna come?" I asked. She nodded, and got herself prepared as well. 

As we walked out on the streets, she stopped. "Do you have something to protect you?" She asked. "Yup, got a small knife in my pocket." I said while I grinned. She seemed to be relieved, and continued walking ahead of me. "So, mind telling me how Regan behaves?" She asked while we walked. "Well, she's pretty silent and seemed aware of what's happening." I answered. "Can she handle it?" Veronica asked again. "Of course she can, but we'll have to find out." I said.

We remained silent afterward, until we reached Regan's house. "I'll stay here, just to make sure there are no followers." Veronica insisted. I nodded and rang the door bell. "Regan!" I shouted. There was nothing but silence. "Regan come out!" I shouted again. Again, nothing but silence. I made up my mind, and jumped to their roof.

I immediately investigated the house as soon as I landed. I checked on every window, until I found the one for Regan's room. I took a peek, and saw Regan, changing clothes. Blood rushed to my cheeks, making me let go of the window grills, and making a loud noise as I fell down. After a few seconds, the window opened as Regan looked outside. "Regan!" I shouted from below. Hearing my voice, she looked down on my poor body, still lying on the grass. "What are you doing there?" Regan shouted. "You didn't seem to answer, so I thought if I looked for your room's window, I'd see you." I explained. Her face turned red of embarrassment. "Pervert!" She shouted, then slammed her window. Oh dear, she got me wrong.

When Regan stepped out of the front door, I escorted her outside of the gate. "You can come down now!" I shouted to Veronica. She went down, and gave Regan a glare. "The name's Veronica." She introduced. "Oh, I'm Regan. Nice meeting yo-", "Cut the formality." Veronica butted in. Geez, Veronica's attitude is scaring Regan. As they introduced themselves, we walked to the gas station. "So, where are we going?" Regan asked. "Just follow us." Veronica answered as she shot a glare at Regan.

As soon as we reached the old gasoline station, Veronica got out a white chalk, and started drawing a teleportation circle. "What is she doing?" Regan whispered to me. "Just watch," I said. Few more circles, few more accents, and the circle is done. "Come over here," Veronica said to us. We nodded, and went inside the circle.

As soon as she chanted some incantations, the chalk marks lit up. Strong wind was around us, startling Regan's innocence. "W-What's this?" She shouted. "We're being teleported." Veronica shouted back. The transparent wind slowly became opaque, and the view of the gasoline station was not to be seen. It felt like we're floating. A few seconds later, and we launched to the sky.

"Wait, the teleportation was interrupted?" Veronica said as we landed into a murky field and there were men waiting for us. "Greetings." The tall man said. "Who are you?", I asked. The man smirked, and walked closer to me as he placed his hands in his pocket.

As soon as his face was around three inches away from mine, he stopped. "Falcon, remember that name." He said then walked back to his comrades. "We work for the government, but don't worry. We won't do anything to you." Falcon introduced themselves. "How can we be sure?" Veronica asked. Falcon got his hands up, together with his men. "As you can see, we're unarmed. Feel free to shoot us—if you want the government to be alerted." He teased then smirked at her.

Veronica's disgust forced him to stop. "Anyways, what brings you here?" I asked them. "Oh! We're here to warn you about something." Falcon said. "Warn? Is there something wrong?" I continued asking. "Don't go to Frostford, the president's dogs linger around the city." Falcon's fruity voice convinced us.

Taking his advice, Veronica proceeded to make teleportation circles. Meanwhile, I went near to Falcon together with Regan. "How was your work at the government?" I whispered at him. He smiled at me, then gave a sexy smirk. "I'm doing good, but better when you came here." He whispered in a breathy voice, then licked his lips. Falcon is pretty lustful, so everyone keeps their distance from him—man or woman. "Who's the weirdo?" Regan whispered as she tugged on my sweatshirt. "That's Falcon, my childhood friend. He's an Athanatos as well, but he works for the government." I whispered back at her. "Hey! Come over here now." Veronica called. I bid my farewell to Falcon, then stepped inside the teleportation circle with Regan as Veronica cited the incantations once more.

We were heading for Crudelis, a state of the untouchables, together with our kind. The government seldom makes business with the place, so we were all safe. The people there also masters witchcraft and necromancy, and it's leader is no one but my brother, Heath. He had been ruling in this place for around three years already—since the past leader was held captive by the government and was continuously tortured until he died.

As we landed at the entrance, we quickly walked to the marketplace. "What are we doing?" Regan asked. "Shut up and just follow us." Veronica said as she walked straight. I held Regan's right arm as we walked through the market. "Whatever you do, don't talk to anyone but us." I warned her.

We continued walking until the stalls were nowhere to be found, where silence ruled. "We're almost there." Veronica said. Regan was obviously left confused, but continued to remain silent, so as to avoid being grilled for the second time. After a few steps, Veronica stopped. "Regan, don't believe everything you see once we stepped into 'his' lair. Okay?" She warned. Regan was left mute, and had no choice but to nod at her. We went into a narrow alley, and walked straight until we reached a big, dark, wooden door in front of our very eyes.