Chapter 11 - Too Much Lace and Trying not to Break the Vase

"Be careful."

Those were Biana's first words to Sophie as they approached the mansion-like home of the Vackers.

"Why?" Sophie asked, confused.

Biana merely sighed, opening the doors. "It's a long story. Just don't break the vase." She pointed to a gorgeous, sparkling and shimmering, aforementioned glass vase that would be worth trillions of dollars in the Forbidden Cities.

"Oh . . ." Sophie's mouth went dry. She wasn't exactly the most coordinated person —and the vase was so precariously balanced that it looked like it would fall and shatter into a million pieces if somebody so much as sneezed within five feet of it.

"What's with the vase, anyway?" Sophie asks.

"I think my dad's holding onto it for somebody," Biana replied.

That didn't make a whole lot of sense to Sophie but she shrugged it off and followed Biana to her room.

"What is Sophie going to wear?" Biana mumbled to herself as she opened the doors to her massive closet filled with uncomfortably fancy gowns in all shapes, colors, and sizes.

"I'm right here, you know."

"Yeah . . ." Biana quietly said, still thinking about Sophie's possible outfit. "But you won't be much help since you have no fashion sense."

Sophie's eyes widened. "Hey! I have . . . some sense. Maybe not a lot—but it's still there!"

Biana smiled. "Understatement of the year. You'd have to get a microscope and zoom in about twenty-thousand units." Sophie had to nod and agree with that one, laughing.

Biana shortly pulls out a sparkly, purple dress and holds it up to Sophie's frame before frowning. "No . . . maybe I could wear this one."

She went back to searching her wardrobe and looked thoroughly through every dress she came across.

After a couple minutes, out of boredom, Sophie asked, "When exactly is the ball?"

"Tonight at eight," she mumbled still looking. "Ooh! You should wear a red dress! That would narrow down my search by a lot. Ugh, why didn't I think of that in the first place?"

"Remember—"

"Nothing too fancy," Biana finished for Sophie. "Yes, yes. I know."

After several more minutes of Biana looking through her red selection—which, in Sophie's fair opinion, hardly narrowed down the search—Biana finally pulled out an ankle-length dress made of silk with small ruffles flowing out from the waistband.

"Oh wow," Sophie couldn't help but say as she looks over the dress. It was simple but elegant—perfect for her.

Biana had a proud grin breaking her lips. "I know, right? I think my mom actually got this for you a while ago but forgot about it or something. Here, try it on!"

Biana held the dress out for Sophie to take and she did. Biana went back into her closet, looking for a dress for herself—which meant Sophie was on her own putting on the dress that, Sophie soon found out, didn't have a zipper.

Sophie tried several methods of attempting to put on the dress—going in feet first, head first, telekinesis, trying to manifest as a phaser to phase into the dress—but all ended up with her somehow landing on the floor out of the dress.

"Hey, Sophie?" Biana called out, walking out of her closet with a loud dress in her hands. "What do you think of . . . what happened?"

"Dress three-million-seven-hundred-four-thousand-two-hundred-sixteen. Sophie . . . zero."