New Faces, New Places

Chapter 8

I kept running. I couldn't stop, I didn't want to either. The pain in my ankle was horrible, but I kept going. All that was running through my head was what Noah had said to me. Being called a monster is not something I take well. Those words have been said too many times to me before. It still stings every time.

Eventually, I grew too tired to keep running. I fell to my knees in exhaustion. I was breathing heavily. The pain in my ankle was getting unbearable. There were also cuts on my feet. I felt my shoulders. I still had Elias's jacket around me. I pulled it tighter around me. I laid down on the dirt, curling myself into a ball.

I wanted to sleep, but all I could think about was Noah. Guilt was surrounding my heart. I was being selfish by having Noah turned. Seeing someone else die was not something I wanted to go through again. I let my fears get the best of me and Noah payed the price. I lied to help Elias though. Noah will need Elias, to teach him, get him through this life. They will become family. Also, since Elias is an aristocrat, that means Noah will get a special power. Really special. I wonder what power Noah will get? I will never know. It's best I stay away from Noah, and remain alone, as I always have.

With that thought, I drifted off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snap!

I shot up. Looking around, I noticed it was still dark out. I couldn't find the source of the noise. I got to my feet, cautiously walking backwards. Someone was out here, or something. That thought terrified me. I was in a place I didn't recognize, which meant other things would be here that I didn't recognize. My heart was pounding in my chest.

I heard faint voices. Someone was definitely coming this way. I looked around me, deciding to climb a tree. I ran to the closest one, jumping on a branch, pushing myself up. I began climbing branches, getting as high as I could. The voices got closer, they were male. When I sure I was high enough, shrouded by leaves, I stood as still as I could. They were vampires, I knew that for sure. Their scents gave it away. I prayed to whoever was listening that they wouldn't find my scent.

"I'm just saying, you should lighten up."

"Shut up, Jonathan. Anyway, the scent leads out here."

The men came into view. They were tall. The one, who I assumed was Jonathan, had red hair, and was also very muscular. He was wearing black clothes, like, all black. It reminded me of Elias. The other man with Jonathan was shorter, with light blonde hair. Wearing the same clothes as Jonathan. I could feel the power on them as well. Not nearly enough to compare to Elias, but still enough to make me weary. They already had my scent too. This was bad. I don't think I will be able to take on both of them. I would have a better chance with one.

"The trail ends here."

That's when they both looked up the tree. At me.

I took quick action, jumping off the tree. I fell right on top of them.

"Ow!"

I jumped off of them, running forward.

"Hey!"

I looked back, seeing them get up. They began running after me with incredible speed. My heart was pounding in my chest, I began to think it was going to burst. I picked up my pace. My ankle was holding me back. I had to find a way to get them to go away. I run towards a tree, running completely around it. Knowing they would follow, I grabbed a branch low enough for me to jump at. The first one to come around the tree was Jonathan. I swung on the branch, kicking Jonathan in the face, falling back from impact. The other man saw this and stopped. We stared at each other for a bit, trying to anticipate each other's next move. I decided to be bold. I ran forward, screaming at the top of my lungs. The man, not expecting this, didn't move.