Entry 10: For Us?

"So Mr. Huston you have a few options here. Often, low-grade tumors, what you have, are non aggressive. They can be treated with watchful monitoring or surgery alone. Though all tumors are monitored with repeat scans, grade II tumors are watched more closely after surgery and over time to make sure there is no recurrence."

"Okay so we could do the surgery then?"

"Yes. But there is a chance that this spot, may come back in the future. It's a low percentage but still a chance. Higher grade tumors, which are malignant and can grow quickly, are more difficult to remove and require additional treatments beyond surgery, such as radiation, chemotherapy, or a clinical trial if one is available. Microscopic tumor cells can remain after surgery and will eventually grow back. But, no need to worry. We caught this just in the right time. You're very lucky."

Jessica reached over and grabbed his hand. He looked up at her and she had this look in her eyes. A look of sadness.

"So, Mr. Huston, shall we schedule?"

Later that night

"Danny?" Jessica knocked on the bathroom door
"-can I come in?"
No answer.
"Please." She knocked again

He stood under the warm water, waiting to respond to her. This was the only time he got to think clearly about what he needs to do for her. His wife. His lover. His life. When she was around all he could feel was disappointment.
One more time the knocking pulled him out of thought,
"Yeah!"

Almost instantly the door opened and she appeared. Danny turned the silver knob turning off the sink, and reached for a towel. He couldn't look her in the eyes. He was afraid to. He did for a split second today and it shattered him.

"Can we talk?" She asked sweetly

Danny tightened the tie of the towel around his waist and pulled a brush from the drawer.

"Yeah...yeah what's up?"

"How are you feeling? I know today was difficult."

"Yeah." He said sarcastically

"Hey. I'm serious. You won't talk to me about this, and I know your scared. But you are going to have the surgery and you will be clear. I need you to stop thinking this is the end. This isn't the end. You are here and you will still be here."

He put down the brush and looked at her

"I'm sorry," he whispered

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

Her heart was holding on by a string and it just about shattered when he repeated those words.
"Baby why are you sorry. This isn't your fault. Is that why you are so distant, because you think this is your fault. Honey. No." she cried. He wrapped her arms around his body, and held him close.
A tear rolled down his cheek.
"I just... Im afraid that I won't be able to give you what I promised you. I want you to be happy, I want you to be safe and supported. And now, I don't know i-"

"Don't say that! You aren't going anywhere."
"You aren't going to leave us. I promise you."

"What?"

"I said you aren't going an–"

"No. you said us. Who's us?"

"Shit." She pulled away from him

"No, Jessica. Are you...are you pregnant?"

She through the towel at the sink, and folded her arms.
"I wanted to wait to tell you."

"How far along are you?"

"Five weeks"

"Oh my god." He cried. 

"Danny, listen to me. Stop believing in this black and white world. You are going to have this surgery and you are going to be better. And this guilt you have, it needs to leave you. Because you do make me happy. You do make me want to spend every single day of my life with you. And I know you are scared to have a baby, but honey I know you. I know your heart. And you are going to be the best father."

She grabbed his hand and rested it on her lower stomach.
"Feel that."
"-that's you and me."

"Jessica. I'm so scared."

"I know you are. But you are so strong. You are so brave."

"I don't feel brave."

"Feel it here?" Again she put her hand atop his in her stomach
"It's right here"