Entry 13: Never Would And Won't

His steps pounded the pavement with a steady beat; a paradox of the quickened rhythm of his heart thrumming against the walls of his chest like a jackhammer. Six long years had passed since he last laid eyes on her and their home. They had become nothing short of a dream that both haunted and soothed him, wishing with every desperate breath he took for his dream to become a reality.It may have taken six years, but his wish was finally granted, and the elation he felt couldn't overpower the anxiety and uncertainty that raided his heart and mind. It threatened to reduce him to the memory of what put him in this situation to begin with, and although he tried not to think the worst, he'd witnessed more than any twenty-eight year old man should. Yet, despite his seemingly positive aura, doubt shadowed his presence. He carried on, taking a moment to revel in the memories he had once created with her, even in their short time together.

It had been the last night before his departure. He'd lain there, his body entwined with hers, inhaling the scent that clung to the warmth of her skin, the scent of the lavender fields that she'd lain in just hours before he claimed every inch of her.

"I'm going to miss this," he whispered, kissing the top of her head. She snuggled in closer, tracing the pad of her finger along the contours of his chest and stomach.

"I wish you didn't have to leave." Her breath tickled the hair on his chest. "Just promise me you'll be safe," Lifting her head up to meet his eyes, she quickly added, "I know that's a silly request, and I shouldn't have asked that of you, it's just...I can't bear the thought of anything happening to you."

"Nothing is going to happen to me," he'd reassured her. "I wont be over there for very long. Before you know it, I'll be back, and we can start the family we've always wanted."

"Oh?" She questioned, her eyebrows raising in amusement. Dragging her bottom lip between her teeth, she said, "If we have a boy, I want to name him Michael."

"My middle name?" He questioned, taking a mental note of how soft her skin felt against his, and the fullness of her lips that beckoned his to caress. Her smile was his answer, and he couldn't find it within himself to argue. He would give her anything she desired.

"Then, we name our baby Phyllis if it's a girl."

"No," she protested. "You can't do that."

"Do what? Use your middle name if it's girl, just like how you want to use my middle name if it's a boy? A little hypocritical, don't you think?" He watched in amusement as her jaw dropped, words caught on the tip of her tongue, unable to form a rebuttal.

So beautiful.

"It's such a strange name, Danny"

He laughed. "Since when did strange phase you? You've never been one to settle for ordinary. Besides, I love your name. I love everything about you. And when we do have a baby, that baby will be a part of you, and I love the thought of naming her after the one woman who stole my heart the day she purposely dumped her coffee on me."

she looked up into his eyes before snorting in laughter, burying her face into his chest. "You deserved it! You shouldn't have been such a pompous ass."

Brushing her golden waves aside and tucking them behind her ear, Danny took a deep breath in, reveling her perfection. "This pompous ass got what he wanted. You're mine, Jessica. Always and forever."

"Promise?"

"Promise." He meant it, with every breath he took, every beat of his heart, and within that moment as he covered her body with his, he had never felt so sure of anything in his life.
"We're not naming her Phyllis."

His head dipped low for a moment, the corners of his mouth turning upwards into a soft smile at the memory. It didn't last long though as the thought of her crying and her heart breaking when she received news of his forged passing, infiltrated his mind.