6. - Turn Your Face -

2018

Dei took a deep breath, it's been well over a month since the two of them have broken up. She placed a hand over her small baby bump and prayed to God that their unborn child could forgive them for what they did. 

After wiping her tears away, she returned inside their house and saw her Mom looking at her. Dei tried to smile to show she's okay but she couldn't. 

"Okay ka lang?" Mrs. Mendoza asked. 

"Opo naman." 

"Gusto mong sumama sa ate mo sa Canada? Magiging maganda buhay niyo dun." her Mom offered but she still shook her head from side to side. 

"Okay na po ako dito." 

"Paano pag nalaman ni Richard yan?" 

"Di ko po alam." 

"May balak ka bang sabihin sa kaniya?" 

"Ewan ko po." Dei answered. A loud roar of thunder then ruined their moment. Rain then started pouring in. She let out a sigh and sat on the couch. 

Suddenly, they both heard the sound of a car engine pulling up in front of the house. Dei peered through the window and saw Richard standing in the rain right outside their gate. She got up and walked towards the door. 

--

2023 

Richard went home with a frown on his face. Maine did not answer his question. Instead, she changed the subject into something else. 

"Patience, you need patience." he thought to himself after entering his place. He then took a deep breath and sat on the couch. Five years of being apart reawakened his sheer love for her. 

Suddenly, his phone started ringing. Richard sat up and saw an incoming call from Maine. 

"Miss me already?" he asked. 

"Ugh, kapal mo. Caleb wants to talk to you." 

"Talaga?" he asked. 

"Hello Daddy!" his son's small but sweet voice quickly tugged on his heartstrings. 

"Hey bud." he replied. 

"How are you?" 

"I'm good. Ikaw? Are you feeling better?" 

"Yes I am. But I have to sleep now. Good night Daddy." 

"Alright, good night my Caleb." he said. 

"Hey Richard." Maine then uttered. 

"What?" 

"Thank you for tonight." she replied and so he smiled. 

"Anything for you." 

---

2018

"What are you doing here?!" she yelled. 

"Dei, I still love you. I'm sorry for what I did. I don't wanna lose you, I can't live without you." he replied, holding the wet metal railings in between his palms. 

"Too late for that.' she said, closing the door behind her. 

"Dei please. Please give me one more chance." he begged. 

"Sana naisip mo yan bago mo ako niloko." she replied, fighting back the tears. The rain has subsided a bit and is now in a form of continuous trickle. 

"I'm sorry na. Dei please, I will never do that again." 

Dei placed her hand over her chest. The sight of him pleading just broke her heart. She'd be lying if she says that she no longer has feelings for him. Dei still loves him, it's just that she broke him a little too hard. 

A part of her wanted to take him back. But whenever her mind goes into that place, all the pain comes back. Not just with his cheating, but also with every single time they fought. 

"I'm sorry Richard." 

"Dei, itatapon mo na lang ba lahat yun huh? Oo, nagkamali ako pero nagsisi na ako. Habang buhay kong papasanin yung pagkakamaling yun. Dei, ikaw lang ang mahal ko." 

"Paalam, Richard." that's all she said and went inside the house. She closed the door just as the rain started pouring hard. 

"What happened?" his Mom asked. 

Dei did not reply a word. Instead, she just hugged her tightly and broke down in tears. 

---

2018 

Richard called out for her name several times, but his voice got drowned by the heavy downpour. His knees gave up on him and he fell down the cold and wet cement. Out of frustration, he punched it several times until his knuckles started bleeding. 

He then leaned his back against the metal and looked up at the sky. 

"Lord, I'm sorry. Please, please give me back my wife.' he whispered. 

A few minutes later, he got up and returned to his car. With one final sob, Richard drove away. 

---

2023

"Bakit parang ang saya mo ngayon?" Mrs. Mendoza asked her. 

"What? Hindi nga po eh." Dei replied before taking a sip off of her coffee. She then turned her eyes back to the screen of her laptop. She's already formulating the preliminary plan for their project. 

"Sus, I know you. Dei, I'm not gong to prohibit you form seeing him pero alalay sa emotions huh? Wag ka nang magpapahulog dun." 

"Never." she replied and gave her Mom a hug. Dei couldn't explain it properly but she felt like something inside of her has changed. She felt lighter, more at peace. Like she just received the closure she's been yearning for years. 

"So tell me , anong pasabog niya?" 

"He said he still loves me." 

"Do you believe him?" 

Dei nodded. 

"Eh ikaw ... gusto mo pa ba siya?" her mom asked. 

"Gusto? ewan ko po pero mahal ... sa tingin ko di na po magbabago yun." 

"Dei ..." 

"Ma, I know my limits na okay? He's a part of my past at hanggang dun na lang siya." she replied before smiling at her. 

"Ayaw lang kitang masaktan ulit." 

"I know. This time I'll be stronger. I won't be weak anymore." she said and gave her mother a reassuring smile. 

"Kahit si Richard pa?" 

"Ma ... trust me."

---

kaya nga niya kaya i-resist si Richard? stay tuned :) x