2. - Leave You Alone -

2018

Two hours after Dei's heart got broken by the same person who taught her how to love unconditionally, the worst part of her day has arrived. The part where she has to leave him behind. 

Tears are falling freely down the sides of her face. Richard stood by the table, begging her to stay. But it's too late, she already made up her mind. She's going to leave.

Dei felt like she's in a war war. His love. the battle. Her heart, the prize. Their marriage, the killing field. And she lost. God knows how much she lost. 

"Please stay. We can move pass this, I promise." his voice echoed inside her head. Dei sobbed and wiped her tears away. She stopped packing and faced him. 

"Sige. How? Richard , please tell me how you can make me forget what I saw? You cheated on me. That's unforgivable." she said. Richard then took a step closer, his eyes already a bit swollen from all the tears that escaped from them. He held both of her hands and placed them right in front of his chest. 

"Dei ... I admit, I made a mistake. But I promise, I will do everything it takes to make it up to you and to our son. Just give me one more chance. This will never happen again, I promise." he said. Dei's knees started to become weak. A part of her already wanted to be with him. She almost let herself fall once again in the bottomless hole that is her love for Richard. She was about to embrace him when something weird happened. 

Something clicked inside of her. It turned off her emotions. She looked at Richard with dead eyes. She reached her breaking point, her heart could not take the pain any more. Dei's on the verge of a major breakdown. 

She pulled her hands away form him and asked him a question she knew he wouldn't be able to answer. 

"Bakit di mo naisip yan bago mo ako niloko?" 

Richard just stared at her. 

"See? Kasi ginusto mo, Richard. Ginusto mong lumandi sa ibang babae. Ginusto mo akong lokohin. Ginusto mo akong saktan. Kaya please, I don't want this anymore. I'll come abck kapag dala ko na yung divorce papers natin." 

Richard did not waste any more time. He pulled Dei in for a hug. But the thing is, she's too numb to feel anything. She's just done. She wants out as soon as possible. 

"Dei, I'm sorry. I love you." Richard said, face wet with tears. 

"I'm sorry, I can't." 

--

2023

The look on Dei's face the moment their eyes met sent shivers down his spine. He heard her brother talk about the possibility of her inclusion in the company but Richard thought it did not push through. However, that thought turned out to be false because Dei is now right in front of him, the living ghost of his past. A few minutes later, their boss left the room, granting them some alone time together. 

"You did not tell me you applied here." he said, breaking the heavy silence that surrounded them. 

"I don't need to tell you everything." she answered coldly. 

"How's Caleb?" he asked, hoping she'd let him see their kid again after the trouble he caused at his son's birthday party a few months ago. 

"He's good." 

"Dei ..." Richard voice trailed off. He then let out a sigh and gathered himself. Dei's hostility could bring their whole project and so Richard must think of something that can lift her mood up. 

A few more moments later,the door once again opened and told them they're both ready to leave. An assistant helped Dei to another floor where she'll work for the mean time while Richard returned to his seat. 

His heart kept on beating fast. seeing his former wife unexpectedly turned his entire upside down. Richard looked at his hands and saw that they are still shaking. 

"Yun ba yung ex mo?" Maggie asked. 

"Yep." 

"What is she doing here?" 

"She's my partner." 

--

2023

Dei was as surprised as Richard when she found out he's going to be her partner. Thankfully, her acting chops did the work for her and she looked okay. But the truth is, she's nowhere near okay. 

seeing Richard for the first time in months made her feel weird in all the wrong places. A part of her definitely missed him while there's also another part that suggested to strangle him. Dei decided to dwell on the first one. 

Around lunchtime, she went to the cafeteria and ate lung alone. A few minutes after she finished eating, Richard came to her view. Dei grunted and rolled her eyes at him but he still came forward. 

"Alright, let's settle this. Why are you still mad at me? Di ba may boyfriend ka na?" 

"Why? Are you that insensitive Richard? And no, I don't have a boyfriend." She answered. Dei quickly gathered her stuff and then stood up from the chair, only for Richard to grab her by the arm. 

She shivered at the touch of him. An electrifying jolt traveled up her body and reminded her of a feeling she thought she will never encounter again. His touch, the cure. His touch, the medicine. His touch, the healer of emotional wounds. 

"Let me go." she said. 

"Kelan mo ba ako mapapatawad?" 

"Siguro, kapag namatay ka." Dei replied. She quickly removed her arms from his grip and walked away, leaving a stunned and embarrassed Richard behind.

---

that's it for this part guys ^^ stay tuned for more :D