18. - It Ends -

2024

It was a beautiful day. The sun shone brightly and cast a pleasant glow over everything, the birds flew around and chirped happily, the cold autumn wind blew and caressed the faces of people walking on the streets. Everything felt great, everything felt good.

On a normal day, Dei would take Caleb to the mall and shop for his clothes and toys. They would have had a great time and he would have been so happy. But the thing is, that's not the situation they're currently in. She held the clear mirror and gazed at the sleeping form of her son in the ICU. Less than 48 hours ago, he flat lined. Thankfully, the Doctors were able to revive him. They were able to keep him alive.

"I miss you, anak." Dei whispered. Tears welled in her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. Her lips continued to quiver. The pain and sadness of seeing her own son fight for his life broke her heart over and over again over the past few days.

"Dei, kain ka na." her Mom said.

"Hindi po ako gutom." Dei replied, quickly wiping her tears away so her Mom won't see.

"Ikaw ang magkakasakit niyan. Sige na, kumain ka muna at magpahinga. Ako na ang bahala dito."

"Mommy?" Dei asked and then turned to face her.

"What?"

"Kaya pa ba ni Caleb?" she asked and started sobbing again.

"Dei .... Kaya niya yan."

She wanted to believe her mother so bad. But her dream about Caleb saying goodbye felt a little too real to ignore.

Dei reluctantly walked out of the ICU and sat on the nearest lobby chair. She covered her face with both of her hands and started praying to God.

"Lord, please. Wag niyo muna pong kunin si Caleb. I still need him ... please."

--

2024

It was already lunch time when Richard got back to the hospital. He spent the past few hours gathering enough clothes, money and food from their houses. Mrs. Mendoza gave him her house keys to he could get their stuff.

Richard rushed into the lobby and saw Dei sitting on one of lobby chairs by the ICU. He gulped and walked towards her.

"Dei? Kumain ka na?" he asked and she looked up at him. Richard's heart broke when he saw the traces of tears right on her cheeks. He quickly pulled out his handkerchief and wiped them away. Dei tried to protest but he insisted and so she just let him do it. Richard then sat next to her and held her hands.

"Dei, kaya ni Caleb 'to. He's a fighter, okay? Kailangan lang natin mag-pray and maging strong para sa kaniya. He'll pull through ... I know he will."

Dei smiled but she still kept her head down. Richard started patting her back. A few minutes later, she raised her head and looked at him straight in the eyes.

"I'm sorry."

"Para san?" he asked.

"Kasi nilayo ko sa'yo si Caleb ng ilang taon. Yung time na dapat magkasama kayo eh pinagkait ko yun. I was so selfish, I'm sorry." She said, tears running down the side of her face.

"No ... no it wasn't your fault. Iniwan ko kayo, niloko ko kayo. What you felt was perfectly normal."

"No .... Please ... wag ... it's my fault, Richard. I'm sorry." Dei said and then stood up from the chair. He tried to make her sit down but she already walked away.

A few minutes later, he entered the ICU and asked Mrs. Mendoza to accompany Dei at the cafeteria. After she left, he sat on the nearest chair and stared at Caleb. He extended his arm and reached for his son's hand. He held it tightly and smiled.

"Anak, I miss you. Daddy misses you so much. Balik ka na sa amin. Madami pa tayong gagawin di ba? Build pa tayong house tapos bike tsaka laro pa tayong madami. Wag mo muna kaming iiwan, please? Love ka namin. Love ka namin ni Mommy mo .... Please Caleb."

By the time Richard uttered his son's name, tears were already pouring down the side of his face. He closed his eyes and willed himself to believe that Caleb will wake up soon and that they will be a family again.

"Hihintayin ka namin, Caleb."

--

2024

Later that night, after having a talk with Richard about life and how much they love their child, Dei walked inside the ICU and sat on the chair right next to Caleb's night stand. For the first time in days, she smiled at him. She raised his hand and held it close to her face.

"Caleb, andito lang kami ... okay? We love you and maghihintay kami kahit gaano katagal pa."

The next couple minutes were spent with her whispering children stories to him. Dei would like to believe that even though Caleb's in a comatose state, he could still hear her voice. And that hopefully, that would wake him up.

Dei only stopped when the night nurse came and told her that the allotted visiting time is over. She nodded and stood up, only to feel something weird.

Caleb won't let go of her hand. Dei's eyes widened and she looked at him. His eyelids moved and slowly, it opened.

"Caleb?"

The nurse gasped and quickly left to call a Doctor. Dei sat down once again and started crying tears of joy. He heard her voice, he's finally awake.

"Oh my Gosh .... Anak!"

--

last 2 chapters :)