13. - Reality Check -

2024

"Sir, we've already finalized the report ... last week pa. If you want, Richard and I can give you a quick rundown before we officially start building these things up." Dei told their boss a few minutes after she was called to the office.

"Okay, later. By the way, how are you and Richard?" the boss asked.

"We're good." Dei answered, giving him a simple smile. Over the past several weeks, the two of them became awfully close again. She doesn't even remember putting down her walls. But then again, his charm works like a sly thief. Dei already became a victim before she realized what's happening.

"That's great. Okay, tell Richard to go here after the break. I would like to ask him something."

"Okay, sir. Bye." Dei replied and exited his office. She then caught a glimpse of RJ working seriously on some files. She walked past him and went back to her desk. Dei took a deep breath and forced her over thinking mind to calm down.

A few minutes after the morning break started, Dei found herself in the middle of a long line in the cafeteria. Dei looked nervously at the clock and wondered if she will still have enough time to eat. Suddenly, someone started tapping on her shoulder. She looked at her side and saw Richard.

"What?" Dei asked. He then grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her out of the waiting line.

"I have food, join me." he said.

"No, bibili na lang ako. Richard, thank you." she said and was about to turn away when he suddenly held her hand. Dei looked at him and saw his familiar boy next door charm.

Dei rolled her eyes and just accepted his kind offer. He flashed his panty-melting smile at her, completely ruining all her chances of resisting. She followed Richard back to his table.

"Naramdaman ko kasi ng madaming tao ngayon sa cafeteria kaya nagbaon ako, pinagbaon na rin kita." he said and gave her a medium sized brown paper bag filled with goodies.

"Asus, pero salamat." she said and sat next to him.

"How's Caleb?" he asked.

"He's great. First day na ulit niya sa classes. Ang talino ng anak mo." Dei replied and took a bite off the sandwich he made for her.

"Mana sa'yo." Richard answered and Dei looked at her.

"Mambobola." she uttered and he giggled like a six year old kid. Dei smiled, she's extremely happy at the moment.

--

2019

Four months later, Richard flew back from the U.S. to rebuild the life he left. He landed at the airport with his heart pounding against his chest. A few weeks ago, he received the news that Dei already gave birth. He wants to see their baby, it's just that he's not sure whether she would grant him permission or not.

His phone then suddenly started ringing. He pulled it out of his pocket and saw the name of one his friends flashing on the screen.

"Pare, asan ka na?"

"Asa labas na ako gago, nasan ka?" Richard asked back.

"Lingon." his friend replied. Richard turned around and saw Rex, one of his best mates. The two hugged it out quickly and went on to catch up with each other.

"Sorry, delayed yung flight."

"Ayos lang yun, tara na."

The two then boarded Rex's car. Richard quickly gave him a chocolate bar before his friend drove him home.

"Dei gave birth, nasabi ba niya sa'yo?" Rex asked.

"No."

"What? Brutal ... that was brutal." his friend murmured and Richard just smiled. He shifted his eyes towards the bracelet he's wearing. Dei gave him that simple black wooden bead accessory back when they were just boyfriend and girlfriend. She told him to hold on to that because it will symbolize their love. And that's exactly what he's planning to do for as long as he can. He will hold on to Dei ... he will hold on to the queen of his heart.

"Yeah well, I mean ... we did not end on a good term so that was very understandable."

"But do you still love her?"

"Sobra."

---

2024

Dei went home later that day with a huge smile on her face. She's extremely happy with her life at the moment.

"Mommy!" Caleb yelled and ran towards her. Dei only got a few seconds to prepare herself for his cute son's tight hug. After Caleb reached his mother, he quickly wrapped his small arms around her shoulder. Dei used to hers to hug him back.

"How's my baby?" she asked.

"Happy."

"Why?"

"Because Mommy is happy." he said and Dei's heart quickly fluttered.

"Why is Mommy happy?" she asked with a smile on her face.

"Because Mommy loves Daddy and Daddy loves Caleb." he said and kissed her on the cheeks. Dei smiled widely and hugged Caleb once again.

"It's true, anak. It's all true."

--

2019

Dei just placed her sleeping son on a hammock when she heard that familiar mechanical sound. She darted her eyes towards the gate and saw Richard's incoming car. She gulped after he got out and walked straight towards the entrance.

Dei took a deep breath and collected herself for a moment before she decided to walk towards him. Her heart is pounding against her chest; the worst part of their separation has arrived. And it will all center on their son, Caleb.

"Bakit di mo sinabing nanganak ka na?" he asked.

"Kelangan ko bang sabihin sa'yo lahat? Richard, hindi na sa'yo umiikot ang mundo ko." she answered.

"Ako ang tatay ng anak natin. Dei, I know galit ka sa akin. Pero sana, wag mo namang ipagkait sa akin yung karapatan ko. I wanna see her, Dei. I really do." he uttered. She let out a sigh and opened the gate for him.

Richard slowly walked in and looked directly at the baby hammock. Dei wiped a tear away and quickly accompanied her ex-husband towards their son.

"What's his name?" Richard asked.

"Caleb ... Caleb Mendoza - Faulkerson, he is your son but I will raise him alone."

"What?"

--

hey guys ! last 7 chapters! stay tuned :)