15. - Caleb -

Song for this chapter:

1. "Look Out" by James Vincent McMorrow

--

2019

The next couple of nights for Richard were spent with him drowning himself in alcohol. He committed yet another mistake and ruined his only chance to get back on Dei's good side. The last straw was cut, there's no turning back for him now.

His phone then suddenly started ringing and so Richard scrambled to get it. He took a deep breath and answered the call.

"Hello Dad?" he asked, still sobbing.

"What happened, bakit ganiyan boses mo?" His Dad asked back in a voice full of concern. Richard took a deep breath and wiped his tears away.

"Dad, I'm coming home. I'll leave the Philippines as soon as I can."

"What? Why? I thought you'll get Dei and my grandson back. Hijo, nag-away ba kayo?" Mr. Faulkerson asked him.

"Yes, and I ruined all my chances now Dad. I will never be able to get them back."

"Anak, you have to fight for your heart. That kid is still your son, may karapatan sa kaniya." His Dad reminded him and Richard stood up.

"I know that Dad, pero hindi lang naman siya yung gusto mong makasaman. Hanggang ngayon si Dei pa rin yung tinitibok nang puso ko." He replied and took another sip of cognac. The taste burned his throat but he did not mind the sensation. Richard let out a sigh and threw the bottle against the wall. Causing a loud breaking sound that was heard by his father.

"What happened? Ano yun?" His Dad asked in a voice full of concern.

"Nothing." He replied and then ended the call. Richard then stood in front of the mirror and glared at his own reflection.

"Stupid retard." He whispered and punched the mirror over and over again until his knuckles bled.

--

2019

Dei wiped a couple of tears away before she left Caleb's room. She then looked at the clock and realized that it's already 22 minutes past 11:00 pm.

Slowly, she maneuvered her way downstairs and opened the kitchen light. Dei sat on one of the wooden chairs and brought out her phone. She took a breath and then dialed Richard's number, hoping to at least now how he is at the moment.

Dei genuinely thought that he would not waste his second chance, but he did. On the other hand, she found herself feeling an extremely weird sensation.

After a few minutes of questioning herself, Dei reluctantly dialed his number and then called him. She waited for him to answer the phone, but when he didn't, Dei figured out that maybe it was not the right time yet.

"Si Richard ba yung tinatawagan mo?" a familiar voice asked. Dei looked on and saw her Mom staring. She sat up properly at the sight of her stern look.

"Opo." He muttered.

"Dei, bakit pa? Ikaw na nga mismo nagsabi di ba? Wala pa rin siyang pinagbago." Mrs. Mendoza replied and sat next to her. Dei closed her eyes for a moment and let out a sigh.

"Gusto ko lang po malaman kung okay siya." She whispered and then placed the phone back in her pocket.

"Di ka niya sinagot ... does that mean?"

"Yes Ma, he's still mad. I can't blame him though, hindi ko inintindi kung ano ang pinanggagalingan niya." Dei answered. She then stood up, and left the kitchen.

--

2024

Richard smiled at the sight of Dei entering the conference room for their meeting. She sat next to him, causing his already wide smile to go even wider.

"Bakit ang saya mo?" Dei asked him.

"Wala naman, bawal ba?" he asked back, giving her one of his signature heart melting grins ever since Di forgave him, Richard's always been in his best mood. Everything felt bright and clear again, it was like he went back to being a teenager and she's the first girl he ever gave his heart to.

"Cute mo no?" Dei asked and he quickly nodded.

"Siyempre naman." He replied followed by a link.

"Hoy, may kasama kayo dito! Wag kayong mag-landian!" another voice inside the room yelled. The two froze and looked at the far left corner, only to see Mrs. Genevieve giving them one of her most scary glares.

"Sorry po!" they both said at the same time and fixed their eyes towards the folders that lay perfectly in front of them.

"So ito na yung final?" she asked.

"Yup, Boss already approved it." Richard replied and took one of the folders. After opening it, his mouth fell open.

"Dito tayo titira for one week?" he asked Dei.

"Yeah. Seems like it."

"Alam mo ba kung saan 'to?" Richard asked, pointing at the wooden house perched perfectly on top of the mountain.

"Yep. Sa Tagaytay yan." Dei replied and he quickly became excited.

"Malamig dito di ba?"

"Yes."

"Tara sundan na natin si Caleb?" he asked, only to be slapped in the face right away. Shocked, he looked at her with his mouth wide open.

"Loko ka ah." That's all Dei told him and Richard decided to keep quiet. He looked at her smiled; she's back to her brutal yet very sweet self. The Dei he knew from 8 years ago, the Dei that he definitely fell in love with.

--

2024

Maine spent the rest of her work day thanking God for letting her find herself way back in Richard's arms. After years of trying failing to love anyone else, it finally dawned on her why she can't fully remove his memory from her mind and heart. And that's because he was meant to be there all along. They're meant to be, destined for each other.

"Punta muna tayo sa mall no?" she told after they left the building.

"Sure, gift ba ni Caleb yung kukunin?" he asked her.

"Yup." Dei answered and her phone suddenly started ringing. She pulled it out and accepted the call that came from her mom.

"Dei, asan ka?" she asked in a panicked tone.

"Paalis pa lang nang office. Bakit po?" she asked back, getting concerned.

"Naaksidente yung school bus nina Caleb. Kakatawag lang nung school director. Pupunta ako dun ngayon din." Mrs. Mendoza replied. Dei's mouth fell open and she quickly asked where the accident took place.

"7th street, dun daw sa may intersection."

"Pupunta po kami agad." Dei answered and then ended the call. Her heart started battling her own chest, drumming against her bones so hard it caused a painful sensation.

"What happened?" Richard asked.

"Ca .... Caleb .... naaksidente si Caleb."

--

last 5 chapters ;) stay tuned for more.