17. - Almost Goodbye -

2024

Dei and Richard ran all the way back to Caleb's room, only to see the Doctor using the defibrillator on him. Her hand clasped over her mouth, Dei almost collapsed at the sight of her dying son. Richard wrapped his arms around her, keeping her on a standing position. The idea that she might lose the only thing that kept her alive after Richard left; Dei turned away and buried her face on her ex-husband's chest.

"Lord please, wag muna po." She whispered over and over again. After a few more moments, the noises stopped and Dei opened her eyes. She felt a tidal wave of relief overflow through her once she realized that they have successfully kept him alive.

A couple more minutes later, the doctors and the nurses started coming out of the room. Dei broke free from Richard's hug and walked towards him.

"Your son is steady now. We'll observe kung ano yung nagging complication. Mrs. Faulkerson I would still advise you to be strong and to pray a lot for your kid, he's going to need it."

Dei was left speechless by the words the Doctor said. She looked helplessly at her Mom and realized that she already started crying.

"Dei ... mabubuhay si Caleb, okay? Kaya niya yan." She sobbed.

Richard placed his arm over her shoulder and guided Dei towards the seat. She sat down and covered her face with both of her hands.

"Caleb's a fighter, okay? Hindi ko man siya nakasama ng matagal pero alam kong hindi ka niya iiwan." Richard whispered into her ears. She wanted to believe, she wanted to believe that Caleb will be able to pull through. However, she also couldn't ignore the amount of damage her son received because of the accident.

"Paano kung hindi niya kaya? Paano kung mamatay siya?" she asked.

"Hindi mangyayari yun." Richard replied but Dei noticed a certain amount of uncertainty in his voice.

"Sana hindi ... kasi hindi ko alam kung kakayanin ko kapag nawala siya."

--

2024

Richard took a deep breath and quietly walked away from Dei and her Mom. He looked at the clock and saw that it's already 2:35 am.

Both Dei and Mrs. Mendoza refused to go home during the night so they decided to sleep in turns right on the hospital lobby. He understood right away why they decided to stay. Caleb meant the world to them. He's their sunshine, their reason for happiness, the reason they stayed strong despite life's hardships.

Richard walked around and found himself staring at the chapel's door. Feeling a bit helpless as well, he went inside to pray.

He sat on the nearest bench and looked straight to the altar. Richard felt a tug in the pits of his stomach. It was as if someone's watching him. Someone close, someone he held dear to his heart. He closed for a moment and knelt down.

"Lord, alam ko pong makasalanan akong tao at probably ... wala akong karapatan na humini nang pabor pero please, wag niyo munang kunin si Caleb. Kailangan pa siya ni Dei. Ako na lang po, ako na lang yung kunin niyo. Hindi ko po kayang makitang madurog ulit yung puso niya. Iligtas niyo po sana si Caleb. Please ... "his voice drifted towards the eerie silence that surrounded him. And before Richard could even realize what's going on, tears already escaped his eye and flowed down his cheeks.

"Lord please, save him ... please save Caleb."

--

2024

Dei opened her eyes and realized that she was standing in the middle of a white and hazy place. She knew right away that she was dreaming because just a few moments ago, she was with her Mom in the hospital lobby waiting for updates about Caleb's condition.

"Mommy?"

She turned around and saw him standing a couple of feet away from her. A smiling, safe and okay Caleb was there dressed in all white waving at him as though he was on a parade. Dei's mouth fell open. Sh ran and hugged him tightly.

"I missed you so bad."

"Mommy?"

"What?" she asked.

"I saw Lolo kanina."

Her heart dropped. Dei's father died a long time ago. If Caleb can see him, does that mean?

"Anak, wag kang sasama sa kaniya ... okay?"

"I just did."

"No!" Dei yelled and she started crying instantly.

"Caleb ... no ... wag muna ... please." She begged. Caleb just smiled and hugged her tightly. Dei tried to hold on to him but much to her surprise, he disappeared in her arms and reappeared a few feet away.

"I love you." he said and giggled.

"I love you too." Dei replied, unable to speak properly due to a sudden lump in her throat. Tears were falling freely down the sides of her face. The mist has started to surround Caleb. Everything then went dark and she finally woke up.

"Okay ka lang?" her mother asked.

"No." she sobbed.

"What happened?"

"Caleb ... I think nagpa-paalam na si Caleb."

--

last 3 chapters na! wala ng bibitaw!! :)

also ... please read the preview for my new story 'The Bad Teacher' coming real soon! link's right below :) x

https://www.wattpad.com/383982629-the-bad-teacher-2017-preview