19. - Decisions -

2024

Caleb had to stay for another week in the hospital before the Doctors allowed him to go home. It was a beautiful Sunday morning. Mrs. Mendoza spent the past three hours cooking all of Caleb's favorite dishes. She was so glad her grandson pulled through. Richard and Dei on the other hand took Caleb to a nearby church so they could all pray and thank God for not letting him die.

Richard felt great the whole they're inside the church. He prayed fervently and thanked God over and over again for granting him his wish.

"Thank you po. I will not waste this chance, I promise. I will take care of them." He whispered and smiled a bit. A few minutes later, the three of them left and started walking towards the parking lot. Richard carried Caleb up in his arms and kissed him on the cheeks.

"I love you." he whispered.

"Labyu Daddy!" Caleb replied and leaned his head on Richard's shoulder. Dei smiled and led them towards the car. The three of them then got in and they drove away.

"Are you wearing your seatbelt?" he asked Caleb.

"Opo."

Richard grinned and they went home. It was almost lunch time when they reached the Mendoza's driveway. The three of them got out of the car and went inside the house. Caleb ran and gave his grandma a quick kiss. Dei and Richard then helped her set up the lunch table.

"Are you alright?" Dei asked him.

"Oo naman, masaya nga ako eh." He replied.

"Love?"

"Bakit?" he asked.

"Thank you ... for everything."

"Dei ... pamilya ko kayo. Of course gagawin ko lahat para sa inyo. We should be thankful kay God tsaka kay Caleb because he never gave up." Richard answered. He then moved closer to Maine and held her hands. They felt warm, the pleasant kind.

"I meant what I said before. Hinding hindi ko na kayo papabayaan."

"Richard ...."

"Please, Dei. I waited for five years. I was immature back then, I admit. But I learned my lessons now. Hinding-hindi ko na kayo iiwan." Richard said, hoping she would remember every word that came out of his mouth.

Dei was about to replyw hen suddenly, Mrs. Mendoza entered the dining room again. Richard froze and looked at her.

"Maglalandian lang ba kayo diyan o kakain na tayo?"

Dei and Richard blushed. He immediately stepped away from her and picked Caleb up so they could sit next to each other.

--

2024

Dei volunteered to clean the dishes after they ate. She smiled at the sight of Caleb laughing because Richard was wrinkling his face to make weird expressions. Her heart fluttered when she remembered the words he said earlier.

She then heard knocks. Dei turned around and saw her Mom standing by the door. She was smiling; it was as though she could read her daughter's thoughts.

"Dei."

"Bakit po?"

"Anong sinabi ni Richard sa'yo?" she asked. Dei immediately blushed and looked away.

"Anak, okay na sa akin kung babalikan mo siya. Nag-mature na si Richard. I saw na nagbago na siya. Hindi ka na niya iiwan."

Dei topped washing the dishes. She dried her hand using a piece of cloth and sat on a nearby chair. Her heart started pounding. The time for her to make a choice is getting closer.

"Mommy?"

"What?"

"Paano kung saktan niya ulit ako?" Dei asked. She decided to finally voice out her concerns.

Mrs. Mendoza glanced at Caleb and Richard before she turned her eyes back to Dei. She smiled a bit and placed a hand on Dei's shoulder.

"Anak, puso mo ung paganahin mo ngayon. Okay?"

"So that means..."

" Yes, Dei. I know you still love him. Give Richard another chance. I'm sure you won't regret it."

--

2024

Richard spent the past two hours entertaining Caleb. And though his face and back started hurting, he felt that it was all worth it. It was past 3:00 pm when Dei brought out cups of ice cream for their snack time. She immediately left after saying that she doesn't wanna spoil their bonding time. After Dei disappeared back into the house, Richard placed his cup down and pulled out a tiny box from his pocket.

Caleb's eyes widened and he pointed at it excitedly. Richard smiled and opened the box, letting his son see the ring in it.

"A ring?" Caleb asked in a curious tone.

"Yes, anak. Do you want Daddy and Mommy to get married?" he asked and Caleb nodded. Richard smiled and hugged him.

"Daddy?"

"What?"

"Do you lablab mommy?"

"Yes, I lablab your mommy. I love Dei so much my heart gets all excited just by saying her name. I can't live without her. I want us to be a family again."

"Dito ka na titila?" Caleb asked, still struggling with speaking Filipino words.

"If she says yes then dito na ako titira."

"Yes!" Caleb yelled and hugged him tightly.

"What's going on? Caleb, yung tahi mo ... wag kang masyadong malikot."

"Mommy?" Caleb asked.

"Bakit?"

Richard heart skipped a beat. He tried to stop his son from saying another word but he was too late. The little kid already blurted it out.

"Daddy wants to marry you again."

"Oh."

-

one chapter left! stay tuned :)