Custody

Mathew's POV

I'm sitting in my office thinking. Should I try to take full custody? Would it be wrong of me? Would I be doing it out of spite?

I wouldn't want to hurt Carter or put him through all of the mess that may come with it.
But at the same time I can't forget that she had me thrown in jail for just cheating, I can only imagine what she'd do if I tried to take Carter away from her.

I also have to think about the fact that I was a cheater, and I'm an ex convict, so even if I did try and take custody I would have to do a hell of a lot of convincing to prove that I'm a fit parent.

I can't even picture myself doing something like that. A child needs his mother just as much as his father, but every time I close my eyes I see butch. I see myself back in that jail sell, cold and damp.

I sighed, all this thinking is giving me a headache. I heard a knock on my door and Richie poked his head in, "hey, are we still on for later?"

"Yeah I'm just finishing up"

"Okay!" He spoke with enthusiasm, "I'll wait for you down in the lobby"

He and I are taking Carter to the park this afternoon and he's excited about meeting him for the first time.

I laughed to myself while logging out of my computer. I grabbed my jacket and proceeded to the lobby to meet Richie.

"You ready?" I asked

"Are you sure that Elena would be okay with me coming?"

"I didn't tell her that you were coming"

"Do you think she's gonna have a problem with me being around?"

"I don't know but I guess we're gonna find out. Let's go"

We walked to his car together and took the short drive to Elena's house.

****************

Once there, I hopped out of his car and we walked towards her house.

Just as we were about to walk down the path I stopped him, "I think it's best if you stay here"

He nodded, "good call"

I walked to the door and I knocked lightly.

"Mathew?"

"Yeah it's me"

She opened the door giving me a warm smile, "hey, come on in. Is that Richie out there waiting?"

"Yeah, I hope it's okay with you if he tags along. He wants to meet Carter"

"Of course it's okay! He could've came in you know?"

I laughed nervously, "I wasn't sure if-"

"It's okay Mathew" she laughed, "Its been a while, you wasn't sure if I would be okay with it. I don't mind. I'll go get Carter, all he has to do is put his shoes on"