Friends

“What are you doing here?” Griffon roars. “U-um… um…” is all I manage to say. “Well?” he says gritting his teeth, probably trying his best not to come up and kill me. Catia is just sitting there as if this is normal. “Um… Well… Um… I was coming here ‘cuz… um… I was curious and stuff… I got here and well… I heard the elevator ding… So, well, my first instinct was to hide. So, yeah, that’s what I did,” I said nervously.

“So you heard what we said,” Catia said, barely audible. I nod my head in response. “Well… Rosebay… You better not tell anyone about this.” Griffon declares. “What’s in it for me?” I say, braver than expected. Griffon stands up and takes a knife out of his pocket. He holds the knife to the side of my throat. “We might just let you live longer. And your precious friend, Alamar, won’t die unless either of you betray us.” He smirks and removes the knife from the side of my throat. He puts the knife back in his pocket and turns around to walk back to Catia.

I stand there shaking and trembling in fear. “You can leave, now,” Catia says, annoyed. I slowly make my way to the elevator, looking at my feet as I walk.

I head back to my floor to see Alamar, pacing around. He looks worried, maybe even panicked. I wonder what’s wrong. I walk out of the elevator and towards him. “Hey, what’s wrong?” I ask him. He looks at me and his eyes widen. He literally runs to me and hugs me tightly. “What happened?” I ask shocked at his actions. “Oh my God! I was so worried! Where did you go! I looked for you everywhere!” “Calm down! I was just on the roof.” “Oh… You could’ve left a note on your door.” I just laughed. “What's so funny?” he asks, confused. “Nothing. I just thought that the famous Alamar never gets so worried that he nearly cries,” I teased. “What? Can’t a person worry about their friend?” Friend. That word strikes me hard. He’s the only friend I’ll ever see again. All my friends from 4, they’re long gone now. None of them even came to say bye to me after the Reaping. Oh how I’ll miss all my friends from 4. The only friend I have now is Alamar. And we’ll be fighting to the death soon enough. And Griffon, or one of the other Careers will kill him for sure.

I start to sink in Alamar’s arms. I’m crying… again. Why do I keep crying? “Rosebay? What happened? Did I say something?” Alamar says as he carries me to the couch and sits me down. “N-no. I’m fine. It’s just… It’s just you’re my only friend left. The last one I’ll ever have,” I say while wiping my tears. “I’m fine. We should get ready anyways, for the interview.” I get up from the couch and start walking to my room. Alamar doesn’t stop me so I keep walking.

Soon, I hear some knocks on the door. “Today’s the big day!!! Interviews start in three hours time! Hurry, hurry!!!” Verginia yells happily. I open the door. I probably look like a zombie because the prep team gasps and have looks of horror on their faces. “This is unacceptable! Go shower, young lady!” Aquilia sternly says.

I shower and come out fresh as a rose. I see the prep team has already taken out their supplies and they start to apply my makeup once I sit down. They didn’t put as much makeup as before, so it takes less time.

In maybe ten minutes, they finish. I take a look in the mirror. My hair was left naturally straight with a small green bow at the crown of my head. I see that there’s not much makeup on my face. My eyes have a slight golden eye shadow on top, but not much. Then, there’s some light green eyeliner on the bottom of my eyes. Finally, there’s some clear lip-gloss on my lips. Verginia hands me my dress and I put it on.

I go back to the mirror to see the dress. It’s truly beautiful. Verginia has done a wonderful job yet again. The dress is a simple, girly dress. It’s an emerald green and it’s short and a little fluffy on the bottom. “I love it!” I say to Verginia as I hug her. “Well, we have an hour. We should head over there so we can get there before the crowd,” Quintus says calmly.

Here's a longer chapter for ya'll. How'd ya'll like? Vote, Comment, Follow!!! Love ya'll.

-Crystal