Lost and Afraid?

Chapter Two

I followed the thirteen year old to the beach. She sniffed the air and scoffed, "I should have know."

"Known what?" I asked.

"The Lunar Pack is coming to invade your territory." She said.

"How do you know that?"

"You can see there tracks."

"Oh... right."

I inspected the tracks. They led out from the water towards the woods. They went along the edge of the trees but didn't enter the forest. There were other tracks too. They weren't an type creature I've ever seen. They were like human feet, but then also paws. There was also a bit of hoof. But all of that messed together and that is what it looked like. I could tell it was all the different creatures just following the same track, it was to fresh to clean.

"What kind of tracks are these?" I asked.

"I don't know." She sighed. "I was hoping you might know."

"They seem to have come here, but what was the purpose?" I questioned.

She frowned and shrugged. Just then, I heard something in the woods. I walked toward the sound and heard a thud. Someone cried in pain. Not just anyone, though. It was Tala. I ran for her, but couldn't find her. She had to be here. I heard her. At least I thought I had. I heard her and she was so close.

I sighed and sat against a tree. This isn't how I thought things would go. Not with my mate or my third try at life for that fact. Yes, this is my third try at life. Trust me it isn't as great as you thing getting to live again, having that fresh start. You will always remember the pain of dying, the heartbreak of knowing that the people you love, like parents, are gone, and remember how you failed.

Tala, shouldn't have to go through that, but if she was gone I wouldn't know what to do. The last person to love me. The only person. She will be the same as me. Alive, but you feel as if it is all a dream. It feels like your dead and in enteral slumber. I just wish there could have been another way to save her.

Live would be so simple if we could all just live without the pain, the suffering, and all the death. No war, just peace. No death, just life. No heartbreak or hate, just love and friendship. I just wish it could be that way sometimes. This is all I have been thing about for weeks. The pain from my past, especially the pain of the death, is coming back slowly. It has been the worst this week. Right now it is killing me. If it were literally, well... it wouldn't be the worst of things, right? All the pain would end, all the suffering.

All the death.

...

"Mark." I heard a voice whisper. The voice was so familiar. Tala!

"Tala?" I asked opening my eyes.

I looked around only to be disappointed. She wasn't around. Why do I keep hearing her? Is she in danger. Should I go back?

"Mark, I thought you where going to show. Instead I find you here lying on the ground." Someone said.

I stood up and turned around to see an old... friend of mine. "Kara." I sighed. "It's been a while."

"Yes, it has." She agreed combing her fingers through my hair. "What have you been doing with your hair? It's so dark."

"I don't enjoy much sun these days." I said and grabbed her hand pushing it away. "How about we skip all the formalities and get down to business?"

"Fine." She shrugged.

"Do you have any way of recovering a memory without having to go to the past?" I asked.