Chapter One - Funeral ♥

I never thought this day would come. At least not so fast. It's amazing how swiftly time passes. You'd think 10 years is a long time, when actually, it all ends in just a blink of an eye.

When I was 6, I always imagined how it'd be to be older. I imagined my own car, my own house, my own family. I even imagined the food I'd eat and the clothes I'd wear... But never did I imagine I'd lose my loved one at the age of only 16.

"Emily, honey, I put your black dress along with matching shoes on the bed. Please hurry up and wear it. We need to go soon." My mom tells me softly right behind my bathroom door as I wrap my body with a thin, white towel and slip into my fluffy slippers.

"Alright!" I reply shortly and listen as she shuts my bedroom's door and her footsteps getting further and further by each step.

I drop my head down to wrap my hair up with another towel before passing my palm on the mirror to clean the hot steam and stare at myself with a blank expression, silently observing the dark circles under my eyes that have become a part of me a long time ago.

I look the same way I feel. A mess.

I grab my makeup case and take out a black eyeliner, a black pencil, a black mascara and a transparent gloss. I spread it all in front of me, grab the black eyeliner and start smearing it on my tired eyes.

After adding the rest of the makeup to my face and drying my hair, I make my way out of the bathroom. I walk up to my bed and stare down in sadness at the black dress I bought just yesterday for this occasion.

A wave of sadness quickly washes over me and tears rapidly take over my eyeballs. I blink multiply times in attempt to hold the tears that already started falling.

No. I can't cry. I can't. I've cried enough over this. I need to be strong. For my mom. For myself. For Pattie and the rest. I can't think about it. I can't think about any of this. Especially not about the stuff that could make me think about him.

I quickly snap myself out of my thoughts before they go into a sadder place and drop my towel to the floor, grasping my black dress with my right hand and dressing up. I slip into the matching black low heels and walk up to the mirror.

I observe my face to see if any of my makeup smeared somewhere but luckily enough, it's all in place. Good thing I put a waterproof mascara and a waterproof pencil.

I grab my black clutch and walk downstairs, putting my phone in it on the way.

"Ready." I whisper huskily as I find my mom standing next to the counter in the kitchen, holding a glass with alcohol in it. She quickly pours it into the sink in hope I didn't see it, and hurries up to me, leading me outside to her car.

We both get in and drive towards our destination without any word being said. None of us feels like talking, but it's pretty understandable, considering the recent events.

After a long drive with no chatting, mom finally parks in the parking lot and gets out of the car after me. She walks up to me and grabs my hand, assuring me she's here. I smile sadly at her and let her drag me along as she starts walking towards the cemetery.

As we approach the coffin, many people come into my view. About 15 or so. They all look all too familiar, but I can't bring myself to remember where I've seen them before.

"Mom, who are those people?" I whisper quietly to her ear. She grips with her two hands my palm she's already holding and smiles apologetically at me. "Your family." She states and drags me faster as she notices the priest has already started talking.